Chapter 37

My hands became sweaty, and I could feel fear crawl through my skin as my entire body shivered. I slowly drew closer, forgetting where I was and not concerned if I would be caught by her. Nothing mattered anymore as I peered intently at the wall, panting in shock.

It was so unbelievable and didn't seem realistic at all, yet I can't deny the fact that I heard her voice even when it sounded faint. My mother, who was announced to be dead two years ago, was the one whose voice I heard behind this wall in the Luna's room.

"Why did the Luna lock my mother up?" What is happening? Does it have anything to do with why she has been maltreating me badly? Is this a dream?" I was breathing heavily as sweat dropped from my face, tears formed in my eyes, and my heart was racing in pain. 

I placed my ear closer once again and didn't hear her voice, but only grunts and groans of deep and intense pain from her.

"No. No, I must be having illusions!" My lips trembled as I began to whimper, hitting the wall, looking for which way to get through as there was no visible door to any room there. It was a bare wall, so how did my mother get locked in there? What secret room was this without a door or window?

All these questions battered my head—my heart felt like it was being stabbed. It had been two years since I was made to believe my mother died from drowning. They told me it was suicide. 

My father died a year after I was born, and life was really tough for us as we struggled to put food on our tables. 

My mother waited patiently for her second chance mate, but no one came by. She suffered insults and scorn from my father's relatives, who accused her of being the cause of the untimely death that took my father. According to them, she was cursed and a misfortune, so no one would help us.

My mother is an orphan and has no siblings.

We both saw hell, wallowing in abject poverty, and that was the reason I couldn't even finish high school before joining her in her menial jobs of cleaning and doing chores for our neighbors, who pay us little.

We both hoped for better days and were so sure things would get better soon. But that night, my mother left the house and never returned.

The strange thing about the whole event was that she was all smiles and unusually gleeful all through that day, with no trace of depression or sadness. She even told me she had great news to share with me.

Just that night after work, she walked out, and I thought she would return very soon, but she didn't. After almost 24 hours, news spread that a body had been found drowning in the river. 

It was recognized as being my mother. I only saw her when she was taken to the hospital, and the next news was that she was dead. Because it was a suicide, according to some eyewitnesses, her body was buried immediately, which was according to the culture.

The Luna was all sympathizing with me and volunteered to take me in as her personal maid to help my life, but after a few months, she turned into a monster, deriving joy in making me suffer, treating me like a pig and one who has no life of her own.

I kept wondering why the sudden change and why she suddenly hated me so deeply, as if I had done something so terrible to her. 

"What is my mother doing in here?! Alive after two years of being pronounced dead!" I whimpered, my lips trembling as more tears burned down my cheeks. 

I couldn't understand what was going on, and my head kept battering with several thoughts as I stared at the wall, shaking my head with sheer shock and disbelief.

Just then, someone gripped my hand and dragged me out of the room. 

"What the hell are you doing in there?! Do you want to be skinned alive?" Selene shunned me as soon as we got out. She kept dragging me until we got into her room.