Chapter 30

Jaden's POV

Love was an emotion I scorned, a treacherous path I had vowed never to tread as I embraced solitude, finding comfort in the predictable patterns of my existence as the vampire prince and next in line to rule. I had my life all planned out, and love was not part of it. I can have a queen and children, but that doesn't force love into it because I can marry without falling in love.

In my eyes, the world was a constant cycle of fleeting connections, leaving behind scars of betrayal and shattered expectations, so I had vowed to shield myself from such entanglements, locking my heart away, safe from the agony that love brought.

My heart was the most precious part of me and the most vulnerable—the easiest path to my destruction—so I vowed to protect it and never hand it to any woman, knowing it was indirectly a death wish. It was suicidal. 

I really thought it worked until now.

After almost 15 years of being celibate and all to myself, rejecting every single lady that advanced at me, I was so sure I wouldn't fall in love, but at this moment, I really don't understand anymore.

Selene.

This girl sitting in front of me with these mesmerizing pairs of eyes penetrating my soul.

She was someone who had taken away my breath and left me lost, wondering what charm she was using because, at first sight, I had lost my ground.

Her touch was literally something else, sending sparks through my skin. Her voice is so soothing that it replays in my head like musical notes. Her smile was like the morning sunshine that brings light to my dark heart. Her figure and everything about her were so different and special in some way that no matter how much I thought, I couldn't define them.

I know it can't be that I am falling in love, but what I don't know is what it could be. I won't believe I was falling in love, but why I felt so attracted and happy around her can't be explained without mentioning love.

Just how possible can it be that a werewolf like her was the one who was able to break the walls around my heart? She was no where close to being the most beautiful girl I had met, nor did she look sophisticated or adorned with nice dresses and jewelry. 

She was more like a street beggar in physical appearance, but that wasn't what she appeared to be when I gazed at her. She looks unkempt and pathetic, yet it doesn't affect these strange feelings of intense attraction and affection I was having for her. In my eyes, she was just like a rare diamond covered with rags and ashes.

"Jaden, we can make this work, you know? Forget about our differences, what matters is our hearts. How we feel for each other. That's why I have your precious bracelet. It isn't a coincidence. It's fate." She whispered breathlessly, her blue eyes wet with emotions, making them sparkle like ripples in the ocean.

My heart began to race as those eyes I had been avoiding rested on mine, pulling me into its depth. They were the parts of her body that were my weakness, always ready to drag me into her charms again and again in a way I always failed to resist, but I knew it was time to let go of her.

My stay in her life would only put her in deadly danger. Once my people find out about my relationship with her, they will do everything in their power to kill her, and I will be seen as a betrayal, which could cause everyone to resent me and probably cause me to end up losing the throne.

"Selene, I came here to pick up my bracelet because if my mother notices I don't have it around my wrist, she will be curious to know where I kept it. Funny enough, she told me to only give it to the love of my life." I shrugged, and she laughed excitedly—the tone of her laughter was really sweet.

"You were really cold and indifferent towards me when you first came in. I was so scared that your love for me had faded and that you no longer cared. Day and night, I think of you. Your bracelet reminds me of you, and I feel like you're always with me, and that gave me the strength to get going. I..."