Chapter 10

Selene's POV

They had all gone to the royal hall as the time for the festival was fast approaching. I was on my bed waiting for my cruel fate then just as expected, my door burst open with four bodyguards stomping in to take me away to the dungeon when I would stay before the time for the torture.

"You should one day die in your sleep, bitch!" One of them snorted in resentment thinking I was sleeping as they used slap to jolt me up.

"Why are you putting on that hoody jacket? Cold?" Another sneered, and my heart skipped a beat at how their eyes stared down at me in suspicion.

"I can wear whatever I want. Can't I?" I seethed and was smacked in the face by one of them. I expected that. No one wants to hear me speak up for myself. I should always stay timid and receive every lash like the puppet they wanted me to be.

My life sucks.

"I pray you die today after the torture."

His voice was like ringing bells in my ears, and I was a bit hazy from that smack across my face. All I could do was groan and hiss silently, wishing these fools would be among those that my vampire saviour would kill next.

As usual, I was thrown into the empty, smelly cell while they all hurried off, locking the door behind me and leaving me to my miserable fate. The place had a stench and couldn't let me breathe normally. It was really smelling badly like spoiled eggs and dead bodies, and I kept belching and gasping for fresh air.

I would have vomited, but nothing is in my stomach. I hadn't eaten anything since the morning, so all I could do was spit and cover my nose.

In a few minutes, I heard footsteps coming forward, and that made me huddle myself as I realized it was time already. The moment I dreaded so much, wishing it wouldn't happen again. Tears welled up in my eyes, and my heart tensed and grew heavy inside my chest as I hugged myself, allowing the tears to fall freely.

"Selene." A familiar feminine voice called out lowly, and my brows arched as I quickly crept out, recognizing the voice to be that of that maid who helped me sneak out earlier.

"What...." I couldn't complete my statement as she quickly pushed a plate of food and a nose mask into the cell through the barricades.

"Eat... I'm sorry for what I did with your food then. Please be fast, so I can take the plate and leave." She muttered, glancing back continuously to check if someone was coming. I was dumbstruck, unable to assimilate all that was going on, but the most important thing was to eat first; questions should come later.

Like a hungry lion, I pounced on the full plate of noodles and eggs, slurping so quick and clearing it all in what could be less than a minute.

"My name is Joy. How was your trip outside? Did you enjoy it? I am really sorry for feeding your food to the dogs." She sighed, and I was really confused.

"We are enemies, you know?" I reminded, maybe she might have forgotten who I was because I don't understand all these nice gestures, like asking for forgiveness and giving me food to eat.

"Or are you here for another favour?" I frowned, but she only sighed and picked up the plate from the cage.

"Look at you." She breathed, her eyes suddenly wet with tears that left me stunned. I couldn't understand what was going on with her.

"How do you survive a year of all these pains and humiliations, watching your life turn into thorns of misery and agony all day, with everyone treating you like an animal." Her voice was low and filled with pity and care that I hadn't sensed in anyone's voice for over a year..

"I believe it will end soon, and that's my strength." I chuckled, and she shook her head sadly.

"I pray you don't die before then." She muttered, rising to her feet.

"I won't. Do you suddenly care about me?" I questioned, my voice slightly above whispers, and she flashed a smile, which vanished almost immediately.

"How much do you hate the Luna of this pack?" She threw the question at me, and I couldn't help flinching at it. I didn't expect to hear anything like this from her at all.

"Please tell me you abhor her to the core. Tell me you wish and pray for a chance to rip her apart!" She huffed, her voice low and laced with so much hatred that it could be felt in every word she uttered.

"What are you saying? She is your madam, who employed you and paid your salary." I scoffed, and she shook her head again.

"We need to find a way to end her life. Rip her apart like you did on that birthday of yours. She has done enough. She doesn't pay me. I am no different from you and...."

"Hey, listen!" I cut her off immediately.

"If they sent you to put me to the test, tell them you already failed. I am not ripping anyone apart. I have nothing to say to you about the Luna, and I prefer to remain silent. Leave when you feel like it." I snapped in a warning tone before crawling back to the far corner of the empty, smelly cell after pulling off and dropping the nose mask outside for her.

"What a way to put me into temptation!" I hissed as I heard her receding footsteps fade until she was out.

She might have a recorder and be sent here by the Luna to get evidence to use, which would put me in trouble. Gosh! And I was thinking about trusting her.

With a loud hiss, I huddled right there in silence as I awaited my cruel fate, but just then, a few minutes after she left, the door to the dungeon creaked open, and I was faced with something that made my breath catch in my throat as my heart felt like they were seared apart.

Shudders of horror ran down my spine as I let out a blood-curdling scream, covering my mouth and trembling so hard, praying it would all turn into an illusion.