Chapter 54

I sat there in my room, leaning on a hope that was becoming bleak and fainter. Night had come, and it was accompanied by silence—that kind of silence that sends shivers of fear down your spine with a terrifying voice echoing inside your head in warning of an impending danger.

Everywhere was becoming dark inside the room, and for an unknown reason, all the lights in my room couldn't come on. I only depended on the dim ray of light from the moon, which was barely bright enough for me to see my bed where I lay.

My heart was thumping hard, and sweat was all over my face. I didn't want to die anymore.

If it had been weeks ago, I would have been the happiest woman on earth at this point because dying simply meant the end of my sufferings. The end of every pain, and I would be able to meet my mother again. This world had no meaning then, and it felt tiresome to live in.

But dying now, leaving this world when I had met the love of my life, was like a piercing sword plunging into my heart. Meeting him opened a new chapter of my life and made me suddenly ready to do everything possible to live just so I could experience a moment of affection and love with him in my life.

Jaden had filled my head, and a lot of imaginations of our future had been what I thought about in bed to sleep and even in my dream. He was the perfect man to be with for the rest of my life, having kids and a peaceful family filled with love and affection.

The hunger to have a normal life was sparked the very day I met him, and when he saved me from those rapists, also clearing my path back home, I realized every hope wasn't lost.

So many times he had been there to save me, always showing up like a ghost when I thought there was no way out. His love for me was a good reason to stay alive and build a world for us together.

Just a few hours ago, someone came here to inform Sophia that Jaden was here to meet her, and that had made her and the rest leave.

I don't know whether to be happy and hopeful or not. For once, I never believed he had fallen in love with Sophia. I know it was a defensive plan to keep him out of trouble. It was as if I could read his mind, and that made me feel at peace even when Sophia kept trying to slap it on my face.

She is just too ignorant to see that the bond between Jaden and me runs way deeper than the eyes could see.

What I wasn't aware of was what plan Jaden had in mind to save me.

I waited patiently, and it was only inflicting more fear on me. It has been hours since Jaden came, and I hadn't felt his presence around here, not to mention his coming to see me. I was really hoping he would show up because I was convinced he came here to save me.

The time was ticking, and the silence was becoming louder. Laura had told me of her plan to make me vulnerable to their attack, and it seemed to be working fine.

Why had Jaden not come to meet me?

If he is around here, why hasn't he made his presence known to me? What is still keeping him away at this moment, when the clock is ticking close to midnight?

I was so sure Sophia wouldn't be able to keep him away from me if his plan was to save me, but now that I couldn't find him, I was unsure what to believe.

With slow steps as my legs shivered, I moved to the door and placed my ears close to the door to catch any sound, but it was as if I was in a deep hole all alone with no one else.

I glimpsed at the clock again, and it was only two minutes before midnight. My hands gripped the door knob as I began to twist it frantically with all my strength, hoping that I would be able to open it in any way possible, but It ended up broken.

Tears filled my eyes, and my lips trembled.

Was I really going to die tonight?

The question kept repeating in my head as I trembled and my eyes roamed around the room, As I scanned every part, my heart was reminding me that it might actually be the last moment.

"God! What about my beast? Won't it save me?" I shouted hopelessly in frustration, but I only heard Laura's voice in my head reminding me that I was about to face the same vampires, which meant it was most likely for my beast to stay hidden as it wouldn't rise against its own people.

The thought of this made my legs quiver as I squirmed back to the bed, but just as I was about to lay down, my eyes caught a flashing shadow crossing through the transparent curtain over my window.

I froze and fixed my eyes on the window. Once again, that shadow cast itself in a flash, followed by a blast of scent hitting my nose.

My legs stumbled back as my heart stopped in my chest. Fear engulfed me. All the hair on my skin rose to its end as a sharp gasp escaped my lips. The smell was that of a vampire, and this one was like that of a killer.

I sniffed, and the scent hit me harder, urging every part of my instinct to run and seek cover. The vampire scent was a potent one, and I could figure out they weren't one, two, or three. It was like a group, and the scent was oozing from different angles, yet it all seemed to be directed to where I stood.

Just then I heard the clinking at my door as if someone was silently unlocking it with a key. My heart beat accelerated, and I cowered back to the wall, breathing heavily as the smell grew more intense, making it obvious that whoever was opening my door was one of them. One of the killers sent to assassinate me

Now, I really can't understand where he got the key, and all in all, there was no sight of Jaden. Not his smell or his aura.

The door creaked and was carefully and slowly opened, so I ducked beside the table stand, trembling. My heart sank into my stomach as I stared bewildered in horror, watching five full blooded vampires walk in and lock the door from behind.

Oh no....

They were hefty and had a really dangerous aura, and from where I was hiding, I couldn't help but gasp in panic and pant as I saw how dangerous the men looked. Their eyes were red and cold, so vicious as they scanned the room for me.

I won't say I was hiding because there wasn't much blocking me. They were five, and none of them had a trace of sympathy in their eyes. It was as if they were bloodthirsty, and the hunger to kill was felt all over them.

"Come out now, you fool!" One of them growled at me as they circled the table I bent over. The voice alone made my heart stop, and a cold chill waved through my skin, sending a sensation of horror that almost paralyzed me.

"Please, don't kill me. I...I...did no wrong...please." I begged, crawling out and going down on my knees as they drew closer in readiness, staring down at me with the most deadly glare I had ever seen.