Chapter 55

"Were you already expecting to be killed tonight? Do you know who we really are? Why are you so terrified?" One of them, with dark dreadlocks, asked as a trace of surprise look crossed their faces abruptly.

It was then that I noticed the clothes they were wearing. It was the same as the royal guards in this pack. They had come in disguise but weren't aware that I could smell their scent.

"There is no need to try to feign anything. I can smell you. I know who you all are. But I don't know why the vampires wants me dead. What did I do wrong? Why do I have enemies both sides?" I asked in tears, my voice breaking in and out as their brows furrowed with their eyes flickering in shock.

"You can smell our scent? You know we are vampires?"

"No werewolf can break through our cover and smell our vampire scent unless they are one of us. How did you do it?"

"Are you normal?"

"This is strange!"

"How possible?!" 

Their questions of confusion shot at me as their eyes scanned all over my body.

"I have a vampire side. I am a hybrid with a vampire gene. Please, you all don't have to kill me. I'm one of you." I muttered a plea, hoping this would be my escape.

The five of them drew closer, sniffing me as if to check if I was right, and their faces contorted immediately.

"You don't have our scent. How can you prove you're one of us?" One of them snorted.

"You can know by testing the blood that flows through the vein at the side of my neck. I'm not a mere wolf, and when I turned 16, I transformed into a vampire instead of my wolf form. No vampire can love a werewolf, so I guess that's why Jaden is attracted to me. We could be mates."

I explained, my voice spluttering as I kept a straight stare at their faces, which were still cold and threatening.

"See, it was easy for you all to come here and kill me because the werewolves here want me dead. You're just helping your enemies kill your kind. I'm one of you." I added, trying to sound convincing.

"We were sent not to check who you really are, but to kill you. We kept Jaden away so we can end it all. Stop trying to convince us of the impossible. You are a werewolf and a threat to us!" One of them scoffed and turned to the others.

"Let's finish this!" He said to the others, but they didn't move.

The one who looked younger and handsome with his white hair braided was the first to shake his head dismissively.

"The queen made it clear that no wolf can smell us. And she is also right about how easy it was for us to get here. It's suspicious, and we shouldn't act rashly. We might be making a dangerous mistake." He spoke to them, and I felt a rush of relief, especially when the faces of the others softened and they became calm.

"Let's check her blood. And that we confirm her words." The other, with dread, breathed and stepped forward.

I heaved in relief, so sure that they would find out I was a vampire.

But just then, someone barged in. A young girl of my age but more beautiful, sexy, and reeking of royalty. I immediately smelled her vampire scent too. She was one of them.

"Celine..." They all muttered with a bow as she walked in with pride, her eyes filled with venom when she set them on me.

"What is still keeping this bitch alive? This is Selene, the girl who plans to take Jaden from me, right?!" She growled in fury, her fists already clenched.

"Ma'am, there is something about her that...."

"What the hell is that?!" She cut in arrogantly as she gave me a death glare.

"She seems to smell our hidden scent, which only our kind can. It appears she has our gene, and..." 

"Enough of that bullshit!" She lashed.

"I don't care. I don't fucking care about whatever you're spitting. I order you all to assassinate her now, in front of my eyes!" She commanded, her voice brimming more with jealousy than a mere hatred of vampires and werewolves.

It seemed she was also in love with Jaden.

"Please...you can have Jaden all to yourself. I swear to stay away from him. Just spare my life and let me go, please. My father is a vampire. I know you're a princess from your scent. You can also test my blood along my neck, and you will see I have a vampire gene. I'm...."

The rest of my words were forced back to my throat with a blinding slap she struck at my face, so hard that I lost balance and crashed on the floor, hitting my head on the wooden stand of the bed. The strike caused intense pain all over my skull.

"I don't give two fucks if you're one of us. I also don't care about checking who you are. Swearing to leave Jaden is nonsense because he will come to you. He will choose you over me again and again. He is crazy over you, and that's the main reason why you should be dead. Get the hell out of this world!" She bellowed ferociously, then turned at the vampire men.

"Finish her as you're ordered, and I don't want to hear any story!" She snapped, but the men didn't move.

"I'm sorry," the younger one said, shaking his head. "I feel she is one of us, so I can't lay a finger on her."

"Oh...I see. Now y'all are going to disobey the king!"

"The king doesn't know about her mixed identity. What if she is Jaden's true mate?" They defended, and she couldn't bear hearing that as her vampire beast took over and she attacked the young man viciously, gripping his neck tight to choke him to death.

I don't know why, but I felt a rush of strength, and it pushed me to grab the wooden chair there and slam her on the head. She released the guy and turned at me with the most deadly look I had ever seen, her eyes bloodshot and every muscle in her pumped out.

"You can kill her yourself." The knights all said goodbye and walked away at that moment. I tried calling on them to save me, but none even looked back, not even the younger one, who was choked that I had just helped.

I was left alone with this cruel girl, who seemed to have been waiting for a day to have me dead. She hated me more than anything, and I could see it in her eyes.

"You hit me?" She whispered, her voice and eyes lethal, and even my wolf curled up in terror.

"I'm...sor...." I couldn't complete it as she charged at me with an extreme speed and strength I had never seen before. I couldn't even dodge because it was hard to see her position.

Her long, sharp claws plunged into my stomach as her other hand grabbed the back of my neck, sinking her claws in too.

I screeched, frozen in the wave of excruciating pain that coursed through my entire body.

"Die! You assholes!" She snarled, and I saw her open her mouth, displaying her long fangs fully ready to chunk out my throat. The intense pain I was feeling sapped out my whole strength as my blood gushed freely. I couldn't even beg for my life as my vision began to haze and everything started to flash right in front of my eyes.

I was actually dying.

"Go to hell, mother fucker!" She spat, and I shut my eyes as her fang drew close to end my life.

So I was really going to die after all.