Chapter 56

"Let her go!!" A shout from Joy was followed by a bang, which forced my eyes open as I also felt the grip on me release instantly.

The vampire girl fell to the ground but rose almost immediately, growling in fury as her eyes blazed with pain and anger. Joy had hit her with an iron rod so hard that I could see blood dripping down her temple.

I also flopped heavily on the ground, weakened and finding it hard to breathe as I had lost a lot of blood, and being a wolf who hadn't made her first shift, my system was finding it so hard to heal the deep wounds. 

My head was hazy, but I struggled to keep my eyes open. Joy rushed at me frantically, not minding that the vampire girl was already up to her feet and was boiling in extreme anger.

"Are you alright?" Joy's cracking voice came in as she held me in her arms, her teary eyes peering down at me as a few drops of those hot tears fell on my face.

"Who is she, and why is she attacking you to death?! Why is a vampire here without being sensed?!" She cried out, tugging at me as she stroked my hair and caressed my cheeks.

"Now I have to kill the both of you then. I see you both are best friends, so it won't be bad dying together." Celine snarled from behind, and Joy turned quickly, after carefully laying me down.

"What do you want from her?! How had she offended you, evil vampire?" Joy yelled, holding onto her rod in readiness to fight with it. She was ready to fight for me at that point, and I could only feel more sadness piercing deep in my heart as I knew I wasn't dying alone now.

She shouldn't have barged in here. I shouldn't drag her along with me. She has her own life and should live while I face my cruel fate.

"Joy, go away! Leave her to me, please!" I gathered strength and shouted, feeling more intense pain shoot mercilessly through my body, to the point that I almost lost my breath.

"I'm not leaving you to die!" She retorted, and the vampire girl, whose name I just knew as Celine, burst into laughter on hearing Joy's words.

"I will help you both have a good reunion in the land of the dead." Celine winked wickedly, and I saw how she attacked so deadly, with the unwavering intention to kill.

Joy quickly shifted to her wolf, hanging on a little hope that she could probably win, something that was more than impossible. 

Celine wasn't just a vampire, but a royal one, and a princess at that. She has higher-ranking powers than common vampires, who still won't be easy for Joy to defeat.

The sharp cry from Joy tore my heart apart as I lay there, praying for my vampire beast to surge out. I was in tears, struggling to stand and try helping, but I had lost a lot of blood, and the deep wounds weren't healing at all.

Any attempt to sit up would inflict me with a kind of throbbing pain that numbs me instantly. I watched in horror as Joy tried all tactics with her wolf form, but Celine's blow and slash of her claws were all she received.

Her blood began to spill and mix with mine as she became exhausted and shifted back to her human form, crashing on the floor beside me.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled, her lips trembling as more tears poured down her face while she looked helplessly at me.

"You should have left. I don't want you to die." I whimpered, feeling a wave of agony wash through me.

Celine let out a scornful laugh, no trace of pity or sympathy in her eyes as she drew forward, her claws and fangs ready to end our lives.

"Goodbye, friends." That was her last statement we heard as we both shut our eyes, accepting our fate of death because there was absolutely nothing we could do.