Chapter 46

Minjeong breathed out through her nose and buried her face on Jimin's soft hair, as she laid next to her, strongly enveloping her in her arms. Her eyes half closed, hugging Jimin tightly in her arms against her chest. Minjeong kissed her forehead and closed her eyes at the sweet touch. A tear escaped through one of her eyes but she didn't care about wiping it away.

6 years of unconsciousness made her lose so much.

She lost all her life.

She lost the sole bliss of being next to her.

She even lost the opportunity of meeting her own son.

She could have avoided all of this suffering.

But she did nothing to stop it.

"If I could only take care of you..." She whispered, resting her cheek against Jimin's forehead, her face now protected by Minjeong's neck, "I promised I would protect you to death but..."

"I failed completely..." She stared at her own picture on her bedside table, and closed her eyes.

Minjeong felt Jimin's hands tugging on her shirt, trying to make her calm down. She looked down at her and smiled lightly.

"Hey...what's wrong?"

Minjeong occasionally held her wrist and checked her pulse, noticing that her heartbeat was indeed way too slow than normal.

"...Rina?"

"Win..."

Minjeong broke their hug and immediately lifted up from the bed. "Jimin?!"

She looked carefully at Jimin. She was paler than a sheet of paper and her breathing was shallow. Minjeong entered in panic and shook her.

"Jimin...C'mon."

Jimin opened her eyes lightly and then closed them, "...Win..."

Minjeong brought her up to her arms, lifting and taking Jimin's tank top away hurriedly. She flinched at how hot the feline's body was, and quickly checked out if she was running a fever. She paused her lips on her forehead, as well as the back of her hand, and that was the time that she really started to get desperate.

"...Rina...Jimin, for God's sake!"

"Minjeong ah...."

Minjeong put Jimin's arms around her neck, trying to lift her up with her. As soon as she felt her head in the crook of her neck, she grabbed a blanket that was above the bed and got up from the bed, carrying Jimin in her arms.

"Hold on, Jimin...I'm taking you to the hospital-"

She froze and stopped. She looked at Jimin and saw her panting, gasping for air.

"Damn, Rina!"

She ran towards the door of her bedroom, opening it, not caring if the whole mansion would see her. She didn't care anymore if Jimin's husband or father came in the way.

She just wanted to protect her, like she had promised her she would.

"Kim Minjeong!"

She just kept walking while holding the feline, not caring about whoever was calling her, with the probable intention of making her stop. She heard hurried steps as she rushed to the door of the house, opening it with her remaining strength, pulling firmly against her.

"It's me, Kim Suho!"

Minjeong stopped, turning around. She breathed out in relief, confirming that, indeed, it wasn't Jimin's father, but, instead, the man who had caught her exiting Jimin's bedroom that morning all those years before.