Chapter 63

"Her body couldn't handle a pregnancy," The doctor said, taking in a deep breath, "It was either her or your baby...And she preferred giving up on her life rather than having an abortion. Her heart stopped beating three times during surgery."

"...For how long did she know it?"

"...Since early November."

Minjeong took in a shaky breath, her eyes filled with tears as her head leaned against the wall.

She felt as if she wasn't able to breathe.

As if her lungs had collapsed, unable to work anymore.

Her body slid down the wall, but she didn't even dare to make a single movement. She felt herself sitting down on the floor hardly, but she didn't even dare to move from her position.

She didn't even know how she should feel.

Happy because she had just been a mother.

Betrayed because Jimin had hidden such a thing from her.

Desperate because she couldn't do a thing to change the situation.

Useless because she didn't help her.

She hugged her knees.

Leaned down her head.

And just cried.

She thought everything was okay with Jimin and the baby. Both Jimin and the doctor had always reassured her that everything was going as planned. That there absolutely wasn't a single problem with either of them.

She should have known. She should have known she wasn't okay.

Her Karina...

...She was on the verge of dying. 

The pain inside of her heart was just too much to contain it. She was hoping that, right in that moment, she would be talking to Jimin. Telling her how beautiful their daughter was. Telling her how much of a good mother she was. Telling her how much she loved and appreciated her.

She would never imagine they would be in that position right at that moment.

With Jimin being in an isolated room in the ICU with her heart barely hanging on.

With their daughter locked up in an incubator without letting her even know what her face looked like.

She heard steps near her, which made her look up slightly.

She saw Giselle, Jimin's best friend, looking as desperate as she was. The younger girl sobbed, as if feeling immensely scared with Minjeong's reaction. Giselle looked at her eyes and sobbed even more, not knowing what to tell her best friend's lover.

"...I-I'm sorry."

Minjeong looked to her front, tears still falling down her eyes. She closed her eyes and tried to maintain herself calm, taking in a deep breath.

Giselle kneeled down on the floor and sat in front of her, pausing her hands on Minjeong's.

"Y-You need to be strong, Minjeong...Jimin wanted you to be strong for Minji."

Chanyeol approached Minjeong and stared down at his sister.

"Eomma is coming, she wants to talk with you."

But Minjeong didn't hear them.

She was just too caught up in her pain, and on what she was feeling at the moment.

She was living her worst nightmare.

Now, confronted with the possibility of losing Jimin forever...she just wanted to scream out of frustration and pain by thinking about it. It was just so painful, that possibility.