Chapter 33: Exaltation

I felt the vitality leak from my abused body. Where was I? Why was there a feeling of emptiness below my chest?

From the dull pain in my eyes and my narrowed vision, I could see Hanami, he was at least somewhat visibly injured but he was built out of tougher material and would regenerate in seconds. Was it him that launched me like this?

Right, that's what happened, his fist buried into my stomach and busted a hole through it. That's why I am flying right.

I'm dying.

A tiny bit of my vision recovered and I could see the unanimated bodies of my soldiers littering the fuming forest. Like puppets with their strings cut.

Whatever little was left wasn't in a condition to fight.

I could see Hanami chasing after me. Intending to pop my head like a balloon once he caught up.

I'm dying.

I already exhausted all the spells I could use and Cursed Speech would not work well enough against him. Spells took too long to cast and I would die before then.

I'm dying.

What can I do now? The world around me was painfully slow as my vision darkened further. Hanami would reach me and I would die.

I will die.

This feeling was one I had felt before. As I lay broken in that alleyway. I didn't notice it then but it was such an unpleasant feeling wasnt it? The senses abandoning your body.

*Crack*

Hanami stepped on something, my eyes opened just barely to see what that was. It was simply the remains of a skeleton soldier.

Why was that so Important? My eyes darkened again, so close to death I could feel something.

For some reason, I could see my vision broadening. And something I didn't know at the time happened.

At the moment of being infinitely close to death, there were no burdens on me. No need for any thoughts about maintaining my body at the moment, no thoughts about anything. So the entirety of my 302 intelligence was focused on the way to live.

I could see remains of cursed energy on that corpse. All living beings and corpses contained cursed energy so it made sense. I could also see the core of the undead. The little wisp of cursed energy that transformed it that had turned into its core.

Why is it so important?

I don't know if it is because I am so lightheaded but I feel like it is important. Something in my instincts is screaming at me.

Then like a bolt of lightning it struck. It all clicked.

I raised my hands toward that corpse.

The cursed energy that served as its core activated.

Converge, all the cursed energy that had accumulated and remained inside the corpse was drawn to that single point.

Compress, the mass of cursed energy compressed to the limit to the point where it started collapsing.

Expand, as the opposite reaction the violent compressed cursed energy like a rubber band snapping back rapidly expands until the container breaks apart.

The result?

"Cursed Technique Extension: {Corpse Explosion}"

"『 Wha- 』" The corpse beneath Hanami suddenly burst open with a giant explosion comparable to a missile as it created a giant ball of green and black flames that launched Hanami backward nearly maiming him.