Chapter 36: Determination

After my bonding session with Mittelt, I decided to go sleep for the day.

Honestly, not grinding felt really weird to me. Usually, by this time, I would already be making some potions, practising skills, raising undead, or razing some dungeons. But now?

I just had to do nothing. If I did something right now I would feel infinitely worse.

My regeneration is so slow that it may as well not exist at all, and with my lacking stats and concentration, anything I made would be a waste of resources. So I just had to... stay still.

Now that I think about it 90% of my life ever since I was chucked into here has been grinding, training, and gaining. Even when I "relax" like my date with Aika I was going for her affection rewards.

How weird.

...

I woke up feeling refreshed, which makes sense since this was one of the only times where I slept clean and not covered in someone else's blood. I got out of my before stealthily making myself a batch of soul-healing fruity pancakes.

After all of that, I got dressed in the bare minimum required for Kuoh Academy, I still wore the uniform but my front was open and the dress shirt underneath had a few buttons unbuttoned for ventilation. Instead of my sunglasses I instead wore a sleeping mask I enchanted with chameleon for people to recognize it as nothing out of the ordinary.

Lord Helix knows I need the sleep. The devils might point it out but I don't really care about what they think do I?

As long as their affections do not drop and I lose my rewards I could not give a damn. Speaking of, how would I raise their affections for me anyway?

Hmm, let's think about this.

Rias, currently with her high affection it won't get raised much unless I want to involve myself in her issues or join her peerage.

And I have already decided that, after beating Hanami, I won't be joining any peerage out of my own volition. I have several reasons for that.

1: The devil race is not THAT good. In fact, if I get the devil race, the double anti-evil damage I take from the necromancer class will turn to a whopping 4x. If I wanted to change my race to one of the biblical factions I would take fallen angel anyway, same stat multipliers without any of the disadvantages.

2: Even if I were to become a high-class devil that doesn't mean I am free.

If I become a high-class devil that means I am essentially a noble in devil society, and that involves all of the responsibilities. And do you know who the nobles respond to? The satans.

If I want to do something and the Satans don't like that they can just say cut that out and I can't do jack piss about it. And Devil politics are notoriously shitty. Why would I willingly dip my toes in that shitpit?

3: Why would I willingly go under someone weaker than me?

She might be able to sweep the floor with me if she actually trained but she doesn't. Neither Sitri nor Gremory are strong enough. Why would I go out of my way to pledge my SUBSERVIENCE to someone weaker than me?

Yes, yes, let's just hand over my freedom to them even though I am stronger than them. They might be good owners but they are still owners no? Gaining all of this power just to go under the wing of a devil and become their servant would be spitting at the face of all of the blood I have shed, mine and others to get to this point.

4: Who said I can't change my race by myself? If I manage to get Expert level necromancy I can undergo the ritual to become a lich most likely. I can likely get race-change items from dungeons. I can do some self-experimentation to change my race. Hell, I can even try becoming Cursed Womb Death Painting.