78

Ally

When Daniel said we had plans I didn't think it would be this. Looking out the window I watch people walking up and down the sidewalk, hearing cars honking and other city noises. The car quiet as Daniel, Trevor and I sit in silence. The radio off leaving the only thing audible in the car the sound of our breathing. Daniels hand squeezes my thigh and I look over at him, his eyes on the road not meeting mine. I'm guessing the squeeze is more of a supportive gesture, though I feel his relief over what just happened. However, his emotions aren't matching my own.

I feel odd. I should be relieved as well that everything is sorted out. Now our future can move on and continue with ease. Nothing more holding us back. Yet it makes me feel sad. Everything has changed and it will never go back now. It's definite and final. I'm mourning the loss of my old life and I feel bad for that, and I don't think I should. However Daniel's unease at feeling my emotions makes me think I'm wrong for feeling this way.

I figure I should be glad he's acting supportive even if he doesn't actually feel that way.

"Want to stop for food before we get back? We've already missed May's lunch." Daniel asks breaking the silence.

"Uhmm..." My eyes go from Daniel back at Trevor and he shrugs. "Yeah, sure." I finish.

My eyes remain on Trevor's. The sadness in them heart wrenching. He's been so strong today, selfless, and I will never be able to repay him for what he's just done.

This was hard for both of us, excepting the future. I know it must be harder for him though. Knowing now everything is final. That we are no longer husband and wife. The last thing he held on to for hope is gone.

The signing of papers at Daniel's lawyer's office shocked me. My eyes bulged at the papers pushed infront of me. However Trevor seemed less surprised. Probably one of the things Daniel and him talked about when discussing how things would move forward.

After leaving the office we all remained silent. Containing our feelings even if we could all tell how each other felt. Reaching my hand back I squeeze Trevor's knee and offer a small smile, I feel terrible for hurting him, pulling my hand away I break eye contact and look forward. Letting myself zone out until I feel the car stop infront of a diner.

Taking off my seatbelt I side out of the SUV and walk towards the front door, not bothering to look back. Knowing they weren't far behind, hearing the doors open and close, their footsteps approaching me. Feeling Daniel's hand on my lower back as I reach for the diner door. It feels good, calming, yet wrong at the same time in this moment.

A young blonde waitress pops out of nowhere and startles me. "Hey y'all, sit where ever you like I'll be with you in a moment." She smiles brightly. Her overly bubbly tone lightening my mood I smile back at her.

Looking around I spot a table in the corner and start walking towards it, sitting down with a sigh. Daniel and Trevor pulling out chairs beside me I fake a smile. "So... I'm guessing I was the only one surprised by today's plans." I raise a brow in questioning at both of them.

"Well.. Uhh, yeah Daniel and I thought it best we get it out of the way." Trevor answers. I can hear the sadness in his tone though, even with him trying to hide it.

"You said marriage was important to you. You can't be married to him and marry me." Daniel shrugs emotionless. His eyes flickering to everyone in the restaurant avoiding me.

"Yeah, I know how human laws work thanks." I roll my eyes. "I still should have been told what was planned. It involved me, I should have had a say."

"So what, Ally? You want to go back and rip up the papers? Stay married to Trevor?" Daniel's eyes finally turn to mine, anger and jealousy strong through our link.