5

Ally

Pulling into the driveway I'm hit with the last time we were here. Right before Trevor died. I didn't know what to do with the place. He had no family so I couldn't give it back to them and I couldn't just sell it. I wanted Xale to know him. Even if it's only through the things he surrounded himself with and did out here. He always talked about bringing him out here when he was older, just the two of them and teaching him to become a "man" and I'd laugh at him. Asking him what if he doesn't want to fish. Every time I got the same answer. "There's so much more than fishing."

Parking the truck, I get out and hold my door open for Boomer to hop out. Staring at the old log cabin, the front door and roof are the only pops of color, now faded red. Turning and opening Xale's door, he jumps down. 

"Hey, stay close by, okay? I'm just going to bring everything inside." I say, getting a nod in reply as he runs to the back yard with our dog. 

Getting everything situated, I grab a water bottle out of the fridge I just stocked and look around the room. Aside from the two bedrooms and the two bathrooms, the house had an open feel. Livingroom when you first walked in, the kitchen against the far wall. A small dining table in between. A large fireplace against the wall in the living area. With a smaller T.V. mounted above it. against the left wall sat three doors. Two leading to bedrooms, one being a small bathroom for guests or visitors. We never used it. Reminiscing about all the times we came here, I smiled. I'm glad I at least have the memories.

Walking out the back door off the kitchen, I look for Xale. Spotting him immediately, crouched down, looking at something. Walking up behind him, I tapped his back. 

"Boo!" I grin. 

Screaming, he fell back onto his butt and I start tickling him. Laughing, he screamed for me to stop, but I don't, not until I heard Boomer growl. Getting up, I looked around for her but can't see her and that odd sensation returns, like I'm being watched all over again.

"Stay here, okay? If I tell you to run, go right inside, okay?" I make sure he nods before walking around the side of the house to out front. Worried, there might be a large unfriendly animal. The woods out here are known for their wildlife, bears, and cougars. Finally, I spotted Boomer near the end of the driveway growling at something across the street. 

"Come on, Boom! Leave it." I yell. 

Boomer turns and faces me before facing back and going to growl again, but I call her again, and she finally comes.

This dog is not helping with my paranoia right now. I chuckle to myself, crouching down to pet her head then standing up and tapping my leg so she follows. 

The day passes by turning to night all to quickly until we have been here for about a week now, and we are getting into a good routine. I am editing on my laptop on the back deck while Xale plays. Taking breaks for food, swimming, and fishing. Anything Xale asks for. I know I shouldn't be spoiling him, but I don't know how else to make up for the loss of his dad. As long as he smiles, I'll do whatever he wants. At least for now. 

I just put Xale to sleep in his bed. Walking into the adjoining bathroom, I close the door connected to his room before turning on the shower and getting undressed and getting in. Rinsing the sweat and dirt from today off my body. Getting out, I wrap a towel around myself, then go in the room and grab some green lace panties and matching bralette. Hearing Boomer bark outside, I grabbed the black nighty I brought and put it on top. Walking towards the back door, I turn on the porch lights and walk outside.

Sitting on the steps looking above at the stars. I don't know how long I've been staring at the sky before Boomer walks over and lays by my feet. Petting her head, her tail starts wagging. I lean back, elbows resting on the step up, propping myself up. Looking back above, I start recalling all the times Trevor and I sat back here doing the exact same thing. I don't know how long I've been crying for, but the sound of a stick snapping close by drags me from my thoughts and puts me on alert. Boomer sits up scanning, and I grab her collar, not wanting her to bolt, and I'm about to get up and pull her inside when suddenly I'm struck. I feel a scream ripple out of me as my head feels like it's going to explode from the pain.

Then everything goes black.