Snow n Roses

"Wait, so... where are you going?" Duff asked, plopping on Izzy's bed.

"The little fucker has never seen snow, I've seen a fuck ton of it, and I don't like seeing him sad about it." Izzy sighed.

"Where are you gonna go?" Duff asked.

"What're you, a cop?" Izzy said.

"Pft relax" Duff said. "I'm just nosey"

"That's Axl's job" Izzy said. He put some more clothes in his bag. "When're they coming back? I wanna get Steven's shit packed"

"I'll go do it, you just finish" Duff said. "Man... you love that little fucker, don't you"

"Love is a strong word"

•••

Steven looked out the window at the clouds that were rolling in. They made it to Oregon, Izzy planned the whole thing out so that they'd get there before the snow started to fall.

They pulled into a cozy motel parking lot that Izzy already booked and paid for, he just had to go get the keys. He gently shook Steven awake when he came back, keys in hand.

"Hey buddy" Izzy murmured quietly, coaxing Steven to open his eyes. "We're here"

"Mmm" Steven groaned quietly.

"Cmon" Izzy gently coaxed. "You can nap some more when we get inside." He said.

Steven yawned and slowly got out of the car. He grabbed his bag and followed Izzy to their motel room.

"Thank you for this Izzy" Steven said quietly, setting his bags down.

"You're bummed and I didn't like it" Izzy shrugged. "'Sides... I think you're the only one who hasn't seen it yet" he said, referring to the snow.

••••

Later that night, early in the morning, Izzy woke up without Steven in bed. He looked around for a bit and saw that the curtains were open a bit, and a figure sitting on the balcony. He slowly got up, careful not to make any noise and looked outside. It was snowing.

He hummed warmly to himself and went to their small kitchenette and made a couple cups of instant hot chocolate.

"You scared me" Steven chuckled quietly, when Izzy came outside.

"Sorry, I didn't want to disturb you" Izzy shrugged sheepishly. He handed Steven a mug.

"You've done so much for me" Steven whispered. "It's beautiful, isn't it" he said, shifting his gaze from Izzy, to the snow, back to Izzy.

"It is" Izzy mused.

"Does it go away fast?" Steven asked, looking back at the snow. He gently touched some that was collecting on the balcony floor.

"Sometimes" Izzy said. "Sometimes it stays only a couple days, minutes even. And sometimes it's months" he looked over at his best friend, who looked both mesmerized and sad.

"Nothing really lasts forever, does it" Steven sighed.

"No" Izzy whispered. "But I'll bring you back next year, or maybe even again this year" he said.

"You.... You'd do that for me?" Steven asked.

"If it means seeing you happy... yeah" Izzy blushed a little. Maybe it was just the cold.

Steven scooted closer, carefully to not disturb the snow that had fallen on the balcony. He rested his head in the crook of Izzy's neck and let out a content sigh. He curled his hands gently around Izzy's arm. With his other arm, Izzy reached across his body and gently ruffled Steven's hair and let started to pet it. He watched as Steven wrote their names in the snow.