Chapter 2

Ignore any silly spelling mistakes/grammar errors.

| | | | |

I finish shoving all my things into my duffel bag. I must admit though, I don't have that many clothes. I have more shoes than clothes. And more hats than shoes.

I like hats.

I feel a tug on my shirt and look down to see one of the younger ones; a girl named Emily. She's probably only around 5 and was left here because her mum couldn't take care of her. "Is it true? You are leaving?"

"Yes. I am. But you have Penelope to look after you." I say and she sadly nods. I had always taken care of her.

"Okay." She says and walks back out of the room, leaving me with my bag. I put on a SnapBack and carry my bag out to where Mrs Jones is waiting with Esther.

"Your absence will not be taken easily." Mrs Jones says and I smile slightly. She basically just said that she'll miss me.

I run over to Penelope and hug her tight. "I'll miss you Nellie."

"I'll miss you too Kylar." She replies and we grin at each other but we both have damp eyes. "Have fun with Mitch for me." She whispers the last past to me and wiggles her eyebrows at the double meaning. I scoff and turn to Esther.

"Sorry. I'm ready to go now." I say and she shakes her head.

"No need to be sorry." She says and I smile shyly. "My car's this way." I give one last final wave to my old life and turn to my new one.

In the form of a Toyota. A blue one to be exact.

"Nice car." I comment as I hop in the front, putting my bag at my feet.

"Thank you." She says and she turns on the radio. "I hope you don't mind, but I like listening to music as I drive and the drive will take about an hour."

"No it's fine." I reply and she smiles. I like when she smiles. She turns a knob on the radio and Radioactive by Imagine Dragons comes on.

Instantly, I start quietly humming along, only knowing the lyrics because of the Pentatonix cover.

"Do you like singing, Skylar?" Esther asks me and I grin.

"I love singing," I reply. "I would always do it when I did my chores at the Orphanage."

"That's great. The people that wanted to adopt love singing too." She says then frowns. "I just have to warn you, they are a bit famous so there will be some people milling around, trying to take photos of you. Is that okay?"

I bite my lip and wipe my now sweaty palms on my jeans. "That's fine. But... What if they don't like me?"

"If who don't like you?"

"The people that adopted me."

She sends a reassuring smile my way before concentrating back on the road. "They're going to love you."

I hope so.

#

"Skylar..." I hear a female voice says and someone gently shakes my shoulder. "We're here...."

Here? Where's here?

I gasp and sit up quickly, remembering everything, to find that I almost donked heads with Esther. "I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay!" She laughs and grabs my hand, helping me out of the car. "The people are inside the house, do you want me to carry your stuff?"