Chapter 22

This chapter is dedicated to coffee. Without it, this chapter wouldn't have been born. I'm sure most of my readers can agree.

|||||

Recap:
She turns back around and I let out a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, I forget to take off the wig and as I leave through the door, the security alarm goes off.

A nearby security guard rushes up to me and, coincidentally, it's the same mall cop from before.

"I thought I told you to stay out of trouble," he says and yanks off the wig. "Do you have a parent or adult guardian here?"

"That would be me," a voice says and a hand gets placed on my shoulder. I look up and my eyes lock with Esther's.

*****

I bite my lip and look down at my lap where I'm fiddling with my fingers.

"So, let me get this straight," Avi, the father figure, says as he paces up and down in front of me. "You missed the bus because you woke up late, you went to the mall, got in trouble with the mall cop, went to get your hair dyed and almost stole a wig?" He asks incredulously.

"Uh, no," I mutter weakly. "I just went to pick a colour not to actually dye it....."

"There's no difference!" He shouts and I flinch so does everyone else in the room. "You still skipped school and got into a fist fight at the mall!"

After Esther caught me, she took me back to the PTX house where Mitch and Avi were back from returning Penelope to the orphanage, Kirstie was here with Jeremy, Kevin was back and Avi called Scott and told him to come over.

"Wait, a fist fight?" Mitch asks and rushes over to me, along with Scott and Kirstie. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm fine," I brush Mitch's caring hands off my face and smile at him. "It wasn't a guy,"

"It was a girl?" Jeremy asks and I nod.

"Well, what was the fight over?" Scott asks and Avi looks frustrated.

"Tyler." I reply and Kirstie's eyebrows raise.

"Oakley?" She questions and I nod. "Wha... What?"

"I went into a bookstore," I start explaining. "And there was Binge but there was only one copy left and I went to grab it but another girl got to it first. I asked her politely for it she said it was hers and then-"

"Did you turn on the sass?" Mitch interrupts.

"Babe, I already had it on," I reply and he grins. "Anyway, then we talked - well, argued - more then she, well, launched herself at me."

"Oh my God," Kirstie gasps. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Kirst, I'm fine," I reassure her and she nods slowly, sitting back on the couch all three of us were sitting on. Kirstie next to me, then Mitch the other side and then Scott, explaining Mitch's tense body.

Avi sighs and paces back and forth. "When we start up again next year, no concerts for two weeks."

"What!" I exclaim and stand up. This is outrageous.