Chapter 55

This chapter is dedicated to that photo ^

|||||

Recap:

"Oh my god Lexi," my stomach suddenly drops and I feel like I'm about to throw up. "Lexi, tell me, what's wrong?"

"Ed- Eddy-" she manages to sob out before wailing again.

"What's wrong with Eddy?" I demand and she cries louder. "Lexi tell me!" I shout and she quietens down. But only for the amount of time it takes her to mutter three words that send my world crashing down around me.

"He committed suicide."

*****

"There is not a soul in this world that is born with the idea to self-harm. People don't realise how much someone has to suffer in order to turn mental pain into physical pain. Why do people do it? Because we feel we deserve the punishment, because we feel in control, because when the emotional pressure becomes too much it relieves the tension. It can serve as a reset-button in your head. Endorphins can be released - the 'feel good' chemical. You then realise the pain can make you feel alive when you're numb. Then self-harm becomes the drug you never have to pay for. Well, your skin pays for it, but at that point, you're addicted."

---

I scream and sit up straight.

What?

I frantically glance around and see Michelle frozen, popcorn halfway to her mouth.

"Skylar?" She immediately drops the popcorn back into the bowl and crawls up onto the couch with me. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

I can barely talk because I'm panting so heavily but I manage to choke out, 'No I'm fine.'

"What the hell just happened?" She asks and grabs my chin, tilting it around, making sure I'm not hurt.

My heart flutters.

She actually cares.

She doesn't want the police questioning her.

"I just- Can I make a quick phone call?" I ask her and even though she looks confused, she still nods. She grabs my phone from behind her and hands it to me. Using one hand, I unlock it and search through my contacts while my other hand wipes my sweaty hair back from my forehead.

"So, I fell asleep?" I ask Michelle as I find the contact I want.

Eddy👬

"Yeah, we were halfway through Insidious and you fell asleep on the couch. I didn't want to wake you and the movie was too good so I had to keep my yelling at a minimum." She explains and I nod as the phone rings.

"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up." I mutter but it just rings out. I groan and jump off the couch. Pacing back and forth, I find the next best contact.

"Hello?" A breathless voice answers and I sigh in relief. "Who's this?"

"Lexi, hi. It's Skylar," I reply and I can hear a vaguely familiar voice in the background say 'Who's Skylar?'