wars of the roses,

A pure white rose was how they started. The petals were so delicate and soft. The stem was thin but strong. The thorns sharp, digging into his pink skin. Pearls of blood red bubbled up from the cut, threatening to roll down his finger.

"Pretty." Will whispered to himself. He set the rose back into the glass vase on the small kitchen bar.

"I'm glad you like them."

Will bat his eyelashes prettily at Jordan. "Not trying to take my innocence are you?" He leaned against the bar, his back facing the sharp roses.

"Not this time. I just thought you would like them."

"That's very sweet of you, Jor."

Will didn't mind spreading his legs for Jordan on that kitchen bar. He didn't mind the moans that escaped him. He didn't mind that his back arched every time Jordan touched his pale skin. He didn't mind that Jordan made him feel.
_________________________________________________

But things never stay the same. The roses were as white as snow. Will snorted at the thought. The petals were soft and silky. He rubbed a single petal between his fingers. This time there was no blood because there were no thorns.

Will turned away with a forlorn look on his face.

"I'm going to be late today. I have a bunch of tests coming up soon. I'll be at the library the entire day." Will tried not to let the unhappiness seep into his voice.

There was no proper response other than a soft mumble from his boyfriend.

Will tried not to mind the twinge from his heart. He tried not to mind the inattention. He tried not to mind the bittersweetness of their whole relationship. He tried not to mind that Jordan made him feel.

"I love you," nothing more than a gentle whisper.
___________________________________________________

They were far from the same. They weren't white anymore. They were the darkest, most horrible red - almost black. Will's lips twitched. The roses were so close to being a cliché Will couldn't take it. He would leave them to rot, never touching them.

Will and Jordan barely slept in the same bed at this point. It wasn't because either of them was in the doghouse but because Jordan came home late, night after night.

The British college student slept in their bed, tossing and turning, searching for that comfortable warmth that Jordan seemed to have just to make Will happy.

Jordan slept on the couch, his back and heart aching. He regretted the nights out partying, drinking. This regret wasn't enough to stop these nightly affairs.

Will didn't blame him. He was boring. He was horrible to spend time with. He wasn't worth the time. Will was worthless.

He minded the cold side next to him. He minded hearing that front door close and the footsteps in the middle of the night. He minded the loneliness he felt despite supposedly having someone who loved him. Will minded what Jordan made him feel.
___________________________________________________

There were no more roses. No pure white. No soft petals between his fingers. No strong thin stem. No thorns.

Two months ago it was over, but they still clung to that single strand of hope that was left of their relationship. It would hurt too much if they ended it. Maybe...maybe there was still a chance for them.

"Do you...do you think we should keep trying?"

Jordan didn't respond immediately.

"Jor?"

"I don't want to let you go." He lightly traced Will's collarbone.

It was refreshing being able to touch Will, feel Will underneath him, give him pleasure, feel the warmth radiating from him.

"But?" The tracing stopped briefly.

"I still love you."

"Where's the spark?" Will felt Jordan kiss his neck lightly.

"Let's go on a date."

"What? Right now?" The surprise was evident in Will's voice.

"Yeah, let's look for that spark."

A white rose was waiting for him on the kitchen breakfast bar. The white petals were smooth and soft against his skin. The stem was thin but offered a strong foundation for the swirls of the petals. The thorns. The thorns were sharp, waiting for their next victim to grab at the alluring rose. Delicate but fierce.

Not immortal.

Not everlasting.

But they could try.
___________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed~

Roses are ever so pretty, so lovely. I don't care how cliché it is to have the rose be your favorite flower but it is. Also thanks to anime for making me obsess over roses even more. Gosh.

Buy me some white roses (Tibet or Eskimo). Bury me in white roses. Never take the thorns off because that's just an insult.

-gee