Chapter 14

After dinner, Loki and I headed back up to our chambers neither of us spoke, it seemed that we had both forgotten about the impending trial. I wasn't until pulled out of my trance until Loki leaned down and gave me a quick kiss.

"Good night Mira." With that, he vanished into his chambers and I was left standing alone in the hall. That's when I realized that I didn't want to spend any time away from him unless I absolutely had to. So I followed him.

"Loki?" He poked his head out of the bathroom.

"What's wrong?"

"Can...can I stay in your room tonight?"

"Of course. I'll be out in a moment." He disappeared and this time, the door shut. That's when I remember that I didn't have anything to wear to bed. Loki, being the cheeky thing he was, was probably going to suggest that I wear nothing but I wasn't ready for that. I looked back at the door. Should I run back to my room and change? But what if he came out while I was gone and took it the wrong way? What if I brought my nightgown back here and changed but he came out before I was decent? I didn't want to lose him but I wasn't quite ready to take the next step either.

"You can wear one of my shirts Kitten." Loki was right behind me. I must've been thinking hard if I hadn't sensed him go into my mind.

"Your problem is 'written on your face' as I believe the phrase goes."

"Oh. Am I really that easy to read?"

"Only to me, Kitten." Loki took the chance to kiss me again, "Now go change." He produced a black shirt out of nowhere and gave me a little shove towards the bathroom. He didn't need to tell me twice. I took care to shut the door behind me. No need to give him any ideas. I changed as fast as I could and practically waved an unused toothbrush over my teeth before returning to him. Loki was sprawled out on his bed, facing the door. The shirt was far too big for me, it fell off one shoulder and went to about mid-thigh. Loki tried to hide a grin when he saw me but failed miserably.

"I'm wearing my own nightgown next time. I have a feeling that this is going to fall off."

"I wouldn't object if it did." Loki mumbled under his breath.

"I heard that." I replied as I slid under the dark, crisp covers. Loki wasted no time wrapping his arms around me and pulled me up against him. The scents of peppermint and masculinity overwhelmed my senses as well as the feeling of being trapped in his embrace. At first, I thought I'd have another claustrophobia attack but that was not the case. I felt safe and secure in his cool embrace. I pressed my front against his bare, pale chest and nuzzled the hollow between his neck and collarbone. Sleep did not elude me tonight as it did last night, I was asleep in seconds.

When I woke up the next morning, I was alone but there was a cold spot next to me in the bed, signalling that Loki had gotten up not long ago. The sun was rising outside, the light streaming into the room and landing right in my eyes. So that's what woke me. I needed total darkness to fall asleep and relative darkness to stay sleeping. I squinted in the new morning light and rolled over. The door to the bathroom was closed and I could hear movement from within, probably Loki getting ready for the day. Speaking of getting ready, I should probably be doing that too but I didn't want to leave the coziness of the bed. It didn't help that I was still tired. Knowing it was useless, I pulled the covers over my head and pulled the pillow down a bit so it gave me the illusion that I was in the dark. The only downside was the it was stifling. The duvet was rather heavy, a fact I would be grateful for come winter but now I didn't like it one bit. It wasn't long until I leard the bathroom door open.

Loki's POV

Dragging myself out of bed and away from her was the hardest thing I had done in a long time. I had wanted nothing more than to pull her close, bury my face in her luscious hair, and go back to sleep but questions would be raised and Odin would not be pleased if we were found cuddling in my bed instead of attending the morning meal. I had wanted to kiss her awake but I had decided to let her wake up on her own, she needed rest, even if she wasn't going to admit it to herself. When I came out of the bathroom, I was greeted by the sight of a Mira-sized lump under the covers. She had woken up, that much was obvious. I actually found it kind of cute that she was curled up a bit like a cat, from what I could see she was curled up in a ball hugging her pillow. No matter how cute I found it, I was instantly worried that she wouldn't have enough air so I rushed to her side.