Chapter 16

A pair of arms wrapped around me from behind and a blade was placed against my neck and I was suddenly glad Nat made me spend so much time training me in the art of flexibility but there was still one move that I had never been able to pull off. Well, first time for everything. I leapt off the ground, hooking my knees and legs around Fandral's neck while using my hands to pry the blade from his hands. It met the ground with a dull clang. Now for the moment of truth. Twisting my spine and reaching for the ground with my hands, I let my upper body fall while keeping a firm grip around his neck with my thighs. We fell like dominos but I sprang off my hands, twirled in midair, and landed on my feet. Brushing the dust off my suit, I picked up Fandral's sword and put it to his neck.

"Surrender."

"Fine."

"For all to hear!"

"The Angel wins." He shouted. Only then did I move the blade from his neck and turn back to Loki. He was at my side in seconds.

"Are you alright, Mira?"

"I'm fine." I was panting and my head was spinning. I barely registered the crowd cheering as Loki embraced my hot, sweaty body.

"Come. Let's go get that cleaned up."

Loki led me to the Healing Room, where he introduced me to Eir, the goddess of healing.

"I must commend your skill, Lady Mira, even if I do not approve of battle myself."

"You saw the duel?"

"Oh yes, that window there gives a direct view to the training grounds. I must say, it has been quite some time since I have seen Fandral fight that hard. I have no doubt that soon, the finest warriors in Asgard will come seeking a duel of their own." We went behind a private screen and I removed my catsuit.

"Is it true that you are an angel?" Eir asked out of the blue while she washed my cut. The look in her eye told me that she knew the answer.

"Are you going to tell Odin?"

"Have you ever claimed to be an angel?"

"No."

"Then you have your answer. If you have never directly claimed to be an angel then you have not committed a crime."

"No, Odin made an assumption that I have yet to correct."

"Then you will be safe. I assume that you are going to wait until after the trial?" Seeing my shock, she continued, "Loose word around the palace has it that you and Loki are an item."

"It is...unclear what we are but for the moment, I guess we're a couple."

"I will keep your secret, Lady Mira. Loki needs someone. Thor is in love with a mortal from Midgard, Fandral seems content with changing the woman he courts every week, I am not sure about Hogan but I know that Volstagg has at least one child. Sif has an eye for Thor and there was a time I believed he had an eye for her. Loki has always seemed lonely though. As a child, he was here more often than any of the others, he was very accident prone. I know that he was jealous of Thor, who could have any woman he wanted. Sigyn was the only woman Loki has ever courted seriously. Oh, every now and then he would take a random girl to his bed, as did Thor, but I can tell that you are different. You are more than that to him." By now, Eir had finished dressing my wound and was helping me back into my catsuit.

"You should be able to continue your normal routine, just be extra careful with that leg for now. Change the dressing twice a day and come back if you notice any discolored flesh around it."

"Ok. Thanks Eir." When we emerged, the others were there with Loki.

"Lady Mira. I hope that you can forgive me for my atrocious behavior."