Chapter 63

I soon found that I had been worried for nothing, the pain of my last injection by Eir was much more painful compared to Simmons drawing a little blood. When the process was over, I decided let my wings out and let her inspect them, analyzing how they moved while the computer analyzed the blood sample.

"You know," She began, "I would love to see how these are connected to your body. Would you mind if I took an X-ray of your back?"

"Go ahead. As long as it stays...in-house as well."

"Alright!" She chirped and practically skipped over to another table, one that had a glasslike surface. With a few touches, it activated and became a holographic projector.

"Oh, Jemma! Don't forget about the ray-thingys."

"Oh yeah! Mira, there isn't any chance you may be pregnant, is there? Because if so, you have to wear a special vest." Again. The topic of Loki had been breached more times in the past eighteen hours than since he died! What was it with everyone being so pokey!? Something must've shown on my face because the next thing I heard was Fitz stuttering and shuffling though a closet.

"Loki? May said something about him in regards to you."

"Yeah, um...I'd rather not talk about it."

"Why did I hear the name Loki?" Fitz was back with a black vest in his hand, "May told us not to mention him around her!" Once he said that, they both seemed to connect the dots.

"Loki could be the father!" They both cried.

"And he wasn't spotted in the battle–"

"–and the earliest reports of the battle states that Thor was already injured so either–"

"–either there was another fight earlier or–" They both fell silent when there was no other option.

"Is he..."

"Yeah." There were no tears in my eyes anymore. Now my head hurt and my eyes burned. I had no more tears to shed. Instead of saying anything, I grabbed the vest and put it on, adjusting it around my midsection, "Where do you want me."

"Uhhh....just step upon the table." Once I was up, several lasers activated from the ceiling and scanned my body. Beside me a holographic image of my skeleton materialized, with the exception of my midsection, where the vest was.

"This is incredible! Your shoulder blades are rectangles that are attached to your upper-mid spine! Your wings are attached through full ball-and-cuff joints, but unlike your shoulder joints they have a full range of motion!" She zoomed in on the wing part of the skeleton and analyzed the bone structure.

"I'm going to compare this bone structure with every other known structure of animal wing we have–"

"No need. Bald Eagle. I know that much for sure. Plus a sea turtle gene for a longer life. That's all I know."

"Well...thank you. I'll be sure to factor that into your DNA study. That's all I need from you."

"I'll....be upstairs if you need me for anything else."

"Wait!" Simmons nearly shouted, "The stone around your neck. I've never seen anything like it before. Would you mind if I scanned it?" I looked down at the ever--changing opal.

"Fine."

"Lovely!" She moved to remove the chain from around my neck.

"Wait!" I jerked away, kneeled next to the table, and placed the stone on it. A couple key swipes made the surface beneath the glass around the jewel light up and moments later, all sorts of charts and diagrams appeared.