Chapter 79

Plot Chapter

I sat down on the rim of the fountain in view of the store and kept my eyes on the entrance. As soon as they vanished, I took out my phone and began playing Candy Crush but kept my eyes on the Apple Store. I also set a timer for ten minutes. I actually became so engrossed in my game of Candy Crush that I actually jumped a bit when my phone buzzed, alerting me that the time was up.

"Nat?"

"We're done, let's go." I saw them come out and I trailed them by about ten paces.

"Standard tag team, two behind, two across, and two coming straight at us."

"If they make us, I'll engage, you two make it to the south escalator and then the metro."

"Shut up and put your arm around me, laugh at something I said."

"What?"

"Do it and Mira needs to disappear." Easier said than done, someone would probably see. However, it was a risk I was going to have to take. I went and crouched down by one of the plants, turned invisible, and walked away, using the sounds around me to determine my route.

"So what was on it?"

"I couldn't access it, but I found out where it came from. That's our next destination."

"So where was it from?"

"New Jersey."

"How are we going to get there? SHIELD has probably tagged all of our vehicles."

"We're going to steal one." We made it to the escalator and I was right behind them, with the illusion from earlier and on my phone again.

"Rumlow. Coming up." Nat turned to Steve.

"Kiss me."

"What?"

"Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable."

"Yes, they do." Nat grabbed him and kissed him while I watched Rumlow out of the corner of my eye. It certainly worked, the SHIELD agent looked the other way as he passed and Nat let go.

"Still uncomfortable?"

"That's not exactly the word I would use." We squeezed by the people standing and rushed to the parking garage.

"Go all the way to the top. Mira, can you duplicate car keys?"

"I have to see them."

"What about those?" Nat jerked her head towards a single man getting out of a chevy pickup, he had his keys in his hand.

"You bet." I concentrated for a moment and an identical keychain dropped into my hand.

"Amazing."

"There'll be cameras in the corners, if we get out of their view I can disguise us. I can only make us invisible for a short time, or I can make Steve look like the man who got out. We'll just have to avoid looking at the camera."

"We don't know how long he'll be gone."

"No, but we can assume it'll be five minutes."

"Then I'm going to go to the bathroom."

"Ok. Don't be too long about it."

Stealing the truck went off without a hitch and before I knew it, we were crossing the border into New Jersey. Considering that I had nothing but the radio and light magic to stay entertained, it was a minor miracle. But we still had four hours to go. Since I needed space for my wings, I got stuck in the back seat while Nat rode shotgun.