Chapter 87

Plot Chapter

 And let me start off by saying one thing: You're all going to hate me after this.

The first thing the HYDRA agents did was drag Nat, Sam, and I into the middle of the street. One of them actually put a gun to Steve's head but Rumlow, who seemed to be leading the operation, got him to reluctantly stand down, but only because of the news helicopters above us. Then, when I thought things couldn't get any worse, a familiar female voice broke the silence and turned my blood to ice.

"Cuff them and take those three back to headquarters." Rose pointed to me from her perch atop one of the trucks, "Take her to the airfield. She's to go to Sokovia, with compliments from Pierce."

"Rose? What're you doing here?" Rose smiled, but it was not the smile of a friend. "Why, I'm here to take you in of course."

"B-but why!" I demanded, hating myself for the tremor in my voice. "Why would you betray us like this!? I thought we were your friends!" Rose glared down at us. Her voice turned dark. "No friend of SHIELD is a friend of mine." She hopped off her truck, smirking. "In the days of Peggy Carter, I would have served SHIELD without question, I would have followed her to the ends of the earth. But ever since she retired, SHIELD has been nothing but a nest of corruption and lies. To be honest it was like that before but Director Carter kept it in check. Under Nick Fury however those secrets and deceptions flourished."

"But that doesn't explain why you would turn on us!" I cried, "I trusted you!" Rose sighed.

"May 22, 1991. "

"What?" I asked, thoroughly confused. Rose continued.

"SHIELD records will show that a group of talented field agents, not special agents, at least not yet, were sent to check out an abandoned research facility in Bolivia. Except it wasn't abandoned. They were ambushed and killed by a splinter group, once SHIELD agents who had become traitors. At least that's what the database says, and why would anyone believe anything else? But I did. In that group was my older brother, the only family I had left. I needed to know what actually happened. As it turns out, Fury knew that site wasn't abandoned. He knew he was sending those agents on a suicide mission." Her voice rose in anger, "He knew they would die and he did it anyway!" I saw Steve flinch. "After my discovery I was approached by a HYDRA agent with an offer I couldn't refuse. I have a new family now, one that doesn't lie or send agents out to needlessly die far from their homes and families. HYDRA will change the world, for the better." She smirked. "And now it's time for you to get with the program, Mira, I'll be seeing you real soon. Dr. Baron von Strucker has been...eagerly awaiting your return." She turned and walked away, HYDRA agents parting before her, then closing the gap until she vanished into the rows of armed troops. As soon as she left, agents converged on me, pulling my hands behind my back and snapping on cuffs. They did the same for Steve, Sam, and Nat. It wasn't until they started taking me away from me friends that I started struggling, but it was hopeless. Along with the cuffs, they removed the katanas from my back and waist and put a specially designed contraption on my wings that locked them in position and weighed them down.

"Mira!" I tried to break free but that only prompted more agents to come. I was hauled into the truck that had arrived first. My last sight was of the others being escorted into another one. Steve fought hardest to break free, protesting me being taken away, but there was nothing he could do. I was put into the back of the truck, which was divided into two sections, a cage with a single bench against the back and a pair of benches against the sides, meant for guards. I was put into the cage and closed in. The back where I was had no windows, so I couldn't see where we were going. I could only go by how fast we were going and the turns we seemed to be making.