Chapter 164

I should've known. I should've remembered! From her chest, the dragon's breath opal glinted at me. Almost like it was amused. Amused that I'd though a simple incantation would work on her. Not to mention she was still recovering from her magic overreach at this point. I should've known better. How could I have forgotten!?

"Loki?" She waved a hand in front of my face, "Mira to Loki, you there?" I could only hope that Rocket hid before Mira saw him.

"Yeah." I managed to spit out, "Yeah, I'm here." I grabbed her waving hand with trembling fingers, "I'm right here." Her brow furrowed and she cocked her head.

"You ok?" I was barely holding it together. I hadn't, in my wildest imagination, dreamt that this would happen! But I couldn't tell her that.

"Yeah, couldn't be better. How are you?" Stupid question! I berated myself, from her point of view, I saw her not a couple hours ago! "What do you think of Jane?"

"She very nice. She fell asleep, so I decided to come find you."

"Asleep, huh?" I glanced at Rocket and jerked my eyes to the door. I could only hope that one, Mira didn't see him and two, that he got my signal! "Her body is under a lot of stress, with the Aether drawing from it and all. I don't think she'll sleep long." I linked arms with her and started us walking. She was so solid! Not like in any of my nightmares, an illusion waiting to fade. She was here right now, in this moment.

"Where did you run off to in such a hurry earlier?" I searched my memory frantically, but with all that would happen later, that detail had been lost.

"To check on something." I winked at her, "It's a surprise." I cringed. Not a minute after I got her back, I was lying to her again! Shame bubbled up inside.

"Come on!" She tossed her head back, "Don't torture me like that! The last time you surprised me, it was the house!"

"And it was a good surprise, was it not?" She smiled and laid her head against my shoulder, while a wing wrapped around me. Oh, how I had missed this.

"Yes, yes it was."

We walked in silence for a few minutes, and I thoroughly enjoyed being with her again, even though this wasn't the Mira I had lost. She still smelled similar and oh, how I had missed it.

"What's wrong?" She eventually asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Come on. You're acting...off." I wouldn't lie to her again. Not consciously.

"If you still remember this in a few years, ask me about it." She shook her head.

"You and your secrets." I squeezed her arm.

"I promise that I will tell you one day, I would just rather not lie to you right now." Another odd look. But I would lie to her soon enough from her point of view. In her eyes, I would die the day after tomorrow. And stay dead for over a year. It was something I knew she would never entirely forgive me for. In my timeline, anyway. Maybe I could change just that.

"Mira?"

"Hm."

"You know I love you, right? More than anyone else?" Until Dreyma comes along, then she will share that love.

"Of course." She stopped and placed herself in front of me, "Loki, what's going on?"

"Nothing, Kitten. I just feel I haven't told you that enough lately."

"Uh-huh..."

"And..." How to phrase this, "...I know that sometimes I make strange choices, keep secrets. But I want you to know that it has nothing to do with you. I would never intentionally hurt you, Mira. And the secrets I keep, I keep them to protect you. They are not your burden to bear now. I promise I will tell you one day, but I need you to trust me that I know what I'm doing, and that everything I do, I do with you as my top consideration."