Chapter 69

Plot Chapter

Three weeks passed much faster than I had expected them to. After the first week, time seemed to fly by. The first week had been the hardest, figuring out what I needed to buy and what I could go without, and getting used to Loki not sleeping next to me. Every night, I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. At first, Steve thought it had been nightmares but the worst ones faded after a couple days because I became too tired to dream. However, there was another reason that I had trouble sleeping. After putting in some research, I found that a person's subconscious gets used to having another presence close by while they sleep and when that presence is removed, it affects them psychologically and they have to get used to being alone again, the same could be said for the other way around, sleeping with another person takes some getting used to. The symptoms weren't supposed to last more than a couple days but given that Loki and I had slept together for the past three months or so, it was bound to take me some time to readjust.

Once I was more stable–of course I wasn't over Loki, I never would be, but at least I didn't cry five times a day anymore–I decided that it was time to refresh my magic. All that aside though, it was easy to settle back into the routine I'd had with Steve when I was teaching him about the century. He'd get up at about five thirty every morning, go for a run during sunrise, I'd get up around seven thirty or eight and make breakfast when he got back and showered. The rest of the morning were typically quiet, Steve would read or listen to music while I read and practiced sedir, and after a light lunch, we'd go to a small local gym where Steve would work out for the second time and I would do my daily workout, followed by a quick dip in the pool to wash off the sweat and a shower to wash out the chlorine. Steve and I would take turns making dinner and then find a movie to watch on TV before heading to bed. It was repetitive but it was....nice to live like a normal person again.

But now that three weeks had gone by, my mind was starting to turn to topics that it shouldn't. I was expecting my period any day now and while I had bought the products I needed, my mind had once more been plunged into a civil war of whether or not I wanted to be pregnant, so much so that it was distracting my efforts in learning cloning. To a point that I was certain Loki would be laughing at my pathetic attempts if he were here now.

Loki's POV

I never stopped worrying about Mira. Of course, it became less stressful once she settled into a normal routine but then she gave me a different reason to worry. Her relentless study of sedir, it frightened me that she didn't have a guardian to watch over her and keep her from pushing herself too far. My only solace came from my nightly actions. I wasn't proud of it, but I was abusing my connection with Mira. Every night, I entered her dreams cloaked as Frigga. I corrected any mistakes or bad habits that she'd been making and gave her a basis for what she planned to do the next day. Mira didn't know she was having these dreams, because I made it so that when she woke up, she forgot that I'd been there, all she really remembered was what she'd learned. But I still couldn't save her if she accidently pushed herself too far while awake.

Asgard prospered under my rule. Since everyone thought I was Odin, I had to move slowly, introducing new regulations and laws while also nullifying old ones that restricted overall profits. By decreasing tributes, I also decreased poverty because the money that didn't come to the overflowing treasury went to raising wages, opening jobs, and creating better housing for the people living on the outskirts of the city. I wanted to do more but the people were starting to talk–why the sudden change? So I had to lay low for awhile.

Mira's POV

I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't wonder anymore whether or not I was pregnant. My periods were irregular enough and every day that it didn't come, my mind became more and more conflicted. I couldn't take it anymore, so I went to the corner store and bought four tests, took them all at once, and set them on the bathroom counter with my heart in my throat and my head light. The timer was set for three minutes but it felt like much longer than that. At last, they began beeping and I looked at each one in turn.