Chapter 105

"OH MY GOD!" I shot up in bed, startling Loki out of his dreams, "You're alive! How? You died! Why didn't you tell me!? How could you do this to me!?" Loki tried to grab me and pin me down but I used my newfound speed to escape him. The look on his face was priceless and I would've laughed if the situation wasn't what it was.

"How–"

"No. You answer my questions first! How long have you been alive and just been sitting here idle?" He refused to meet my gaze.

"I never actually died."

"WHAT!?" I shrieked at the top of my lungs, "HOW COULD YOU?!"

"It was a faulty decision, but hear me out–"

"NO! No, you've lost that right."

"I DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER OR NOT I WOULD SURVIVE!" That caught me off-guard. This was the first time he'd ever actually yelled at me. When I didn't scream back, he lowered his voice, "I got stabbed in the chest, that much you know, but I thought it had pierced my heart. It certainly felt like it, but I wouldn't have died right away. I knew I could have minutes, seconds even, and I didn't want to put you through the stress and false hope of thinking I would be alright, so I sped up the process. I pretended to die right there and once you departed–"

"You mean once Thor hauled me away."

"–I dragged myself back to the ship and did my best to patch myself up."

"We could've helped you!"

"Not if you had wanted to stop Malekith, you couldn't have. Anyway, once I realized I would probably live, I knew I would have to set something up long-term. I had meant to come to get you and take you to some distant corner of the Realms, but Odin found me out much sooner than I had expected and I was forced to alter that plan." It took me a moment to piece everything together.

"You're Odin. You're masquerading in his place!" Loki nodded, "Then what did you do to the real one!? Kill him?"

"No, I will have need of him eventually. I stripped him of his powers and sent him to New York."

"Oh, your sense of irony. And when exactly did you decide not to reveal yourself to me?"

"I looked for an excuse to go to Midgard and bring you back, but Heimdall would have sensed something off."

"In other words, you chickened out."

"I did not!"

"You'd be a little faster to admit that if you knew what your dalliance costed me! And you visited me in my dreams! You told me you were dead and reaching out from the spirit world. You lied right. To. My. Face! And that is something I will never be able to forgive. I trusted you! I loved you! And you betrayed me. I'm noticing a bit of a trend here!" I sneered, "As soon as I let my walls down and let someone in, I get stabbed in the back, lied to, and kept prisoner in Eastern Europe for three months!"

"I know something happened to you there–"

"If you think I'm going to tell you outright, you're wrong. You have to earn that now. And as soon as I can go back to Earth without looking suspicious, I will."

"How long?"

"I'm not going to tell you."

"Will you at least let me–"

"NO! I'm done with you." I summoned my clothes from the closet, wrenched the pair of rings off my finger, hurled them at Loki, and left the room, slamming the doors closed behind me.