Chapter 17

Just as he said, Thor was waiting for us outside Loki's bedroom door

"Mira." Thor offered me his arm, even though I was already holding Loki's. But not for long. The coolness of Loki's body left mine, leaving my arm in a harsh, unforgiving cold rather than the soft cold of Loki's skin.

"I'll just go. You two take your time. No need to make Odin think Kitten and I are getting too comfortable with each other." His tone was bitter and he refused both of our protesting calls as he went ahead. I sighed, taking Thor's arm as we started after him.

"I will not tell Father where you were all day."

"Thank you Thor."

"What do you intend to do? You cannot keep it a secret forever."

"I was not under the impression that it was a secret in the first place."

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your identity."

"Oh that. I'm planning to let him find out on his own, I've told no lie. I never actually claimed to be what he thinks I am, I just have not corrected him."

"He will not be pleased."

"I know, but can you imagine the look on his face?" I snickered. Thor smiled and shook his head.

"I believe Loki may be 'rubbing off on you,' as it is said on Midgard." He became serious, "I am glad he has you however, as his older brother, I feel I must warn you of the consequences if you hurt him."

"I know Thor, and don't worry. I have no intention of leaving him."

"In that case, welcome to the family." I laughed.

"We're not married yet Thor, we're not even engaged!"

"I would like to compliment you on your skill in battle. May I ask where you learned to fight?"

"Well, I got my katana training from SHIELD after I began working there and Natasha taught me how to pull off that last trick."

"The woman known as the Widow in Black?" I snickered.

"Yes, her. If you ever see her again, you can try and get her to teach you but I wouldn't recommend it." I winced, remembering all of the bruises and even the dislocated shoulder I had received due to training with her.

I dropped Thor's arm as soon as we entered the dining hall but Odin beamed in our direction nonetheless.

"Ah. I see you have decided to surround yourself with the likes of more pleasant company."

"It seems our opinions vary on who we find more pleasant, Odin." I replied lightly, following Thor to his table and taking my place at Loki's side. I gave him a quick peck on the cheek, just to infuriate them more. It had the desired effect on Odin. He didn't say anything but even a blind person would've been able to feel the anger radiating off him. The only person who didn't look the slightest bit irked was Frigga, who sat to Odin's left. She just sent me a look. Not an angry one, but a knowing one. She knew what I was up to.

Other than that, dinner was a quiet, but long affair. Hannah still hadn't quite worked up the courage to talk to me yet, it seemed that my little display in the arena this morning only made her more unsure. I ended up just talking to Loki mentally about what to do tomorrow rather than any of the others we were sitting with, even though Thor tried to include me in the conversation, that always left Loki out and I wasn't about to exclude him. There wasn't much we could finalize aside from the story, Loki was tortured at the hand of Thanos and his minions until he conceded to do his will. The question was: how deep into detail was Loki willing to go? Sharing it with me was one thing, I had undergone similar things in the past at the hand of SHIELD and he didn't want to hide anything from me but the whole population of Asgard was another matter. No matter how much it would help his case, it was a very private matter for him, almost anything was. We decided that if Odin, or any of the other judges asked for proof of the torture, Loki would drop the veil he kept up and pull up one of his sleeves. His body was littered with scars that he had placed a simple invisibility spell over.

Other than that, we were silent. We didn't really have anything to say to each other. His trial was tomorrow and that was putting a lot of stress on both of us. What would happen if I was found out before his sentence was administered? I didn't know how much longer I could keep up the illusion that I was a 'divine being', as I had been called on several occasions over the past few days, it was so tiring especially taking into account that I was part animal! As soon as we got back to Loki's room, I collapsed in the bed due to relief, not exhaustion. I had slept plenty in the afternoon. Without a word, Loki sat beside me and began rubbing my back.

"It's almost over, Mira. Just tomorrow. Then you're done."

"Oh, Loki." I rolled over, not really caring if I tore the dress or not, "I want to be done now."

"I know you do and I appreciate that you're doing this for me, I really do. Now come, you need your strength for tomorrow."

"But I'm not tired."

"I can give you a mild sedative that will put you out until morning. When you wake, you will feel very well-rested. Not a hint of exhaustion, I promise." That really sounded appealing at the moment.

"Alright." Loki helped me out of my dress and brushed out my hair for me. His touch was soft but firm, I swear he could put me to sleep if he played with my hair long enough

"Goodnight, Mira." When he had finished tucking me in Loki began to murmur in a different language.

If there was one thing I hated more than waking up alone to a blaring alarm, it was remembering something important that I had to get up and do right when I was about to fall asleep.

"Wait, Loki stop! Tomorrow. How is the trial going to work?"

"I don't know. I have never been to an official trial that I remember. I am as new to this as you are but I do know that we will be separated. That is all I know for sure. Then, I think Odin will start by accusing me of my crimes and I will have to answer truthfully. Before the trial, mother will place a truth spell on me. I will not be able to lie about any matter pertaining to the trial. That way, someone cannot be put on trial without solid evidence against them. After he is finished, witnesses will be called forward for my defence. If there are no counter arguments after you are done, the council of judges will leave and go into a private chamber where they will decide the verdict. We will have to stay in the main chamber while they decide that."

"And how long will this whole thing take?"

"A few hours at least, the council is always slow in every decision they make. Analysing every little detail before making a single decision."

"Loki I'm scared."

"Shhh, I know you are. Just don't think about that right now." He gave me a lingering, close-mouthed kiss and began his spell again. As soon as he finished, I felt a wave of exhaustion hit me like a train going full speed down the tracks. My eyelids felt like lead weights and I couldn't keep them open. All thought fled my mind and darkness welcomed me.

Loki's POV

Mira's eyes drifted shut as soon as I finished speaking. Her breathing leveled out and her face went slack. She looked so peaceful when she was sleeping. Part of me still thought this was all a dream, that any second I was going to wake up back in Thanos's torture chambers. How could this beautiful creature want to defend me for crimes I committed in cold blood? How could she doubt herself when she thought she was anything less than an angel? I pondered these and several other questions as I stripped down for the night. When I was finally done, I crawled into bed with her and pulled her warm body into my cold embrace. As soon as I touched her, Mira whimpered in her sleep and turned to face me, burying her face in my chest. I was slightly startled, that spell should've put her out cold for at least ten hours! Oh well. I cocooned her in my arms and rested my head on top of hers as I allowed my body to shut down.