Chapter 35

Ok, so there are two sets of pictures in this chapter becasue I forgot to put one of them in the last chapter. None of the photos are mine.

We agreed that we would play hide and seek until noon, when we would explore the rest of the mansion together.  He was rather insistent that I explore the basement and gave me fifteen minutes with which to do so.  He also agreed to warn me when I had five minutes left.  As I went back to the wooden staircase, I spotted a special feature that it had for the first time.  How had I not noticed it before?!  A smooth, polished wooden slide that lined the outside of the stairs spiraled downwards.  I hopped on the slide and slid down surprisingly fast.  I slid onto carpet at the bottom and was able to get straight to my feet.  The basement was just as impressive as the rest of the house.  The stairs put me right into a hallway that had a single door on the right.  I peeked in and found a very homey bedroom with a light brown color scheme.  I shut the door and continued down the hall, coming upon a third–no, fourth kitchen that was just as luxurious as the others.  As I continued to explore the basement, I became very aware of the smell of chlorine but I could not seem to locate it.  It was strongest in the hallway between the kitchen and the base of the white spiral staircase but I couldn't pinpoint the source.  I just kind of figured that there was a pool elsewhere in the house and there was piping in the wall that serviced it.  So, I began exploring all of the other rooms in the basement.  I didn't want to hide in a kitchen again, that would be too obvious, but I already had one bedroom, complete with a bathroom and walk-in closet to close from and I was expecting I would have at least one more.

My suspicions were proved right when I opened the door in the hallway between the base of the black spiral staircase to find the most beautiful bedroom I had ever laid eyes on. 

It was huge, with a bed that was hanging from the ceiling and a few large sofas on the level beneath it!  There was a door off to the side that led into a black and white bathroom and another that led into a walk-in closet of the same style.

"Five minutes, Kitten." I ran back into the hall since I couldn't find a good place to hide in that bedroom, went back into the kitchen, and down the hall I had yet to explore.  I found myself in a sitting room with a large, L-shaped sofa, a pristine white table, and three huge, circular lights on the ceiling.  The thing that was strange about this room was that I couldn't see the walls.  There were white curtains hanging about a foot in front of them and behind them were large lights that changed colors constantly  The only place the wall was visible was the little bar-like area behind the sofa.  There was a path that led back to the staircase with the slide and another door.

On the other side of said door was a theater.  But not a traditional theater with rows of seats, instead, there were piles on bean bags on the floor to lounge on.  Back wall was a giant high-def television and the wall to the right of that consisted of one big red curtain with golden lights in it.  There were also several glass tables placed around the room, mainly next to the bean bag piles meant for drinks and food.

"I'm on my way, Kitten." With no other choice, I dove into the large pile on bean bags and buried myself completely and giggled.  He would never find me here.

Loki's POV

Since I had used my magic to block my hearing while she hid, I had no idea where she was.  So, I searched methodically, beginning in the attic and the Birdman's bedroom and making my way down to the basement, combing all of the rooms and leaving no space large enough for her to fit in unexplored as I went.  Finally, I reached the basement and I searched the three bedrooms, the kitchen, and the two sitting rooms, the one at the base of the white staircase and the ordinary one with the theater branching off it.  I failed to find her in any of those locations so that left the theater.  The only place she could hide in there was in those bags of beans.  I spotted her right away.  One of the piles, the largest one by far, was moving up and down but instead of simply pulling the top one away, I just went and laid down on the pile, putting as much weight as I could where she was not.  As soon as my weight fell on top of her, I heard a muffled, high-pitched squeal and I felt hands pushing up on my back.  I rolled off without a fight and Mira sat up, her hair slightly disheveled.