Chapter 168

This is by far the longest chapter I've ever written for anything, so enjoy!

Mira's POV

Marshalling the army took less time than expected, but we were still pushing the limit. Everyone seemed to sense the urgency of the situation, and so tearful reunions were kept to a minimum. At the last minute, Shuri came sprinting over to join T'Challa and Okoye at the very front of the line. Sam and I stood towards the back, and would fly in as air support. Sam had set a timer to go twenty seconds before the portal was to open, and in the meantime, we all waited with baited breath. The field was full of people, but entirely silent. Something beeped over our coms. Sam's alarm.

"Hey Cap, you read me?" I tightened my grip on my sheathed katanas when we were met with silence. After a few seconds, he tried again.

"Cap, it's Sam. Can you hear me?" A single portal opened in front of T'Challa, Shuri, and Okoye.

"On your left." I joined him for those three words. It was too dark to see what was on the other side of the portal, but once T'Challa, Shuri, and Okoye started towards it, I unfurled my wings, drew my swords, and took to the sky. The main team members had all been given energy drinks of Shuri's design and now, I felt completely rejuvenated!

Sam and I soared through together, and I tried to keep my spirits high when I saw the wasteland below me that had once been the Compound. My eyes scoured the ground for Loki. He had to be here, I told myself. He just had to be! I was not disappointed. My eyes snagged on three figures not far from Steve, tucked away behind debris. I didn't even register who two of them were, but the one on the right, though his hair was far longer than I remembered, was my husband. Loki.

Loki's POV

"On your left." When Mira's voice came over the coms, I very nearly collapsed. My eyes clouded with tears. She was alive! This wasn't a nightmare anymore. She was here! I turned my eyes to the opening portal–I had never been so grateful for a rival human wizard until this moment. I was a little disappointed that the first ones through the portal were not Mira, but two winged people flew through seconds later. Mira was easy to distinguish. Her wings had more body to them, nevermind her entire color scheme was different from Sam's. In her hands, she held her longer blades. She circled above the destruction, and I wondered if she was searching for me. I wanted to call to her, but found myself completely paralyzed. Knowing she was back was one thing, but hearing and seeing her? That was something else entirely. When suddenly she sheathed her swords and dove towards us, I knew she'd found who she was looking for.

Mira's POV

I parachuted my wings just enough to slow down and land, but I landed in a sprint. I barrelled into him, throwing my arms around him and burying my nose in his neck. He smelt of smoke and sweat, but I didn't care. He was here. I felt him arms wrap themselves around my torso and squeeze so hard I couldn't breathe, but I didn't care. Then I realized he was shaking. Badly.

"I love you. I love you so much."

"I love you too. I'm here."

"I lost you. If it weren't for Dreyma, I..." He trailed off, but I felt a stab of pain. She had survived the snap and grown up without me. Would she even know who I was?

"It's ok."

"Fight first," Tony! "Hug later?"

"Kiss now." I shot back and pulled away enough to press my lips to Loki's. He inhaled sharply and kissed back harder, like a man starved. But it was over all too soon.

"Let's both survive this time." He said.

"Agreed." I felt him take my longer swords before we broke apart and followed the others to where Steve was. He matched my every step as I bounded over the debris, up the hill towards him.