Chapter 90

House chapter

Indeed, we did leave early. Loki and I were woken by a loud, obnoxious, automated telephone call at 6:30am the following morning. It took us some time to actually wake up, but once we did, we moved quickly. We were the last ones downstairs, Nat and Clint took our bags out and we joined the others for a very quick breakfast. We spent more time eating stuff we had grabbed on the road than actually sitting in the restaurant. There was nobody else there at the time, so we didn't have to worry about fans.

I called Bruce at 8 and told him our general plan for the day and he sounded excited about it. He also told us that he'd found a sitter, and that he had invited him in for an interview. We would get back just in time to meet him.

The drive back felt....shorter than the one down had. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't do any of the driving, and that Loki and I fell asleep on each other in the back seat again. Whatever it was, I felt like I was just waking up and that breakfast and the time at the hotel was just....a dream, or happened a few days ago. Certainly not today. After I dozed off, the next thing I was aware of was Loki gently shaking me awake.

"Sweetheart, we're home." I felt him combing through my hair, weaving it into a quick, loose braid.

Nothing of significant importance really happened that day, it was very laid back and relaxing, despite the fact that we spent it bowling and skating. The interview, if it could even be called that, with the cat sitter was quick and painless. He was a young man in his mid to late twenties by the name of Anton. He was very light-spirited and kind so negotiations with him were easy. We quickly worked out that in just over a week from now, he would come here to live and take care of the kittens and he pretty much had free run of the place and access to the food here. He would also be receiving $500 a week.

Loki had correctly thought it best to introduce himself after Anton had agreed to everything because as soon as he entered the room, he leapt to his feet, his eyes flying from one of us to the next. When none of us made a move, he looked to Loki with great fear in his eyes. Loki was good at not reacting to Anton's fear, instead coming to perch behind me on the chair.

"You need not fear me. I shall not cause you harm."

"But...New York!"

"It's a long story, Anton, but we have agreed to clear his name. That is all you need to know." The young man nodded slowly.

"Alright."

Today was Anton's test run, he was to care for the kittens while we went out and had fun. We spent the remainder of the morning and some of the afternoon at the bowling alley. Loki quickly caught on how to play the 'odd Midgardian game' and even started beating me. I'd never been terribly good at bowling, but I still scored a few strikes and I didn't place last. That was enough for me.

The rest of the day we spent at the skating rink and it was there that Loki and I made up for not being the best at bowling. Steve, who was the one who had had the highest overall score, fell several times within the first ten minutes. Nat was as skilled as I expected, and performed a few jumps to prove it. Just about everyone fell down at some point, aside from Nat, Loki, and Rose. Loki would've wiped out a few times, but he used sedir to regain his balance. For dinner, we went to the little Italian place Loki took me to our first night here. We were the only customers there that night, and we stayed well after sunset. The little Irish lady who own the place was more than happy to sit and chat with us for a time, given that she had little else to do. We shared many, many laughs together, and surprisingly, there was very little alcohol involved, we'd gotten two bottles of wine for the table, and given that there were nine of us, that really wasn't that much, especially considering that Steve and Loki could down both bottles and not be inhibited in any way.