Chapter 31

A shoutout to all my fellow Trekkies, it has come to my attention that last Sunday, Anton Yelcin, known for playing Chekov in the new Original Series was killed in a freak car accident.  He was 27.  I hate seeing such talent and life go to waste like this and because of that, I'm going to make a tribute to him later in the book and I'll tell you guys when because he won't show up for awhile. :(

The next few weeks passed so slowly.  I was finally back on my feet again but Loki had to be with me at all times still.  The first few days had been the hardest.  While my arm had pained me, I had needed Loki's help to wash, dress, and eat.  Three basic things that I had taken for granted being able to do on my own.  I was ecstatic when I could finally walk to the dining hall and back, that meant several flights of stairs and I hadn't been allowed to even attempt them until two weeks ago.  Even now, Loki had only just started introducing me to a mental alternate reality as it was very disorienting. 

Thor had returned to Asgard only briefly every few days to report on his progress with the situation on Alfheim.  While it was nearly over due to the rebel's surrender upon Asgard's arrival, Vanaheim had erupted into chaos once more.  The marauders that Thor had made treaties with had bound together and were ransacking villages by the dozen. 

Due to the lack of English-written books in the library, Loki had decided to take on the colossal task of teaching me to read his language.  Fortunately, it wasn't as difficult as Chinese but it was still more complicated than English.  I was aching to get outside.  Eir wouldn't allow me very far from the palace and I found it very annoying that she was still hesitant to allow me into the gardens, even under Loki's eagle-eyed supervision.

The nobles had been more than a little pissed off when they found that they had pretty much prostrated themselves to a being that was considered lower than them but they had begrudgingly come to accept it when Loki threatened their lives if they did not treat me with the respect I was due for being his chosen mate.

When I woke up this morning, I knew I was in for a bad day.  I could already feel cramps coming on and that meant that Sigyn would be released from prison within the day.  Groaning, I rolled out of bed, ignoring the protesting mumbles from Loki, threw on my robe, and rushed to the bathroom, determined to not wreck any more bedsheets.  When I emerged, Loki's eyes were open, squinting against the new morning sun.

"Why did you rise so early?"

"My cycle."

"Come here."

"Actually, Frigga gave me something two months ago that really helped."

"That super spicy stuff?"

"How did you know?"

"I have my ways.  The top of my desk lifts up and there are several bottles inside.  Take out the one in the bottom left corner and bring it to me." I did a double take at his ordinary-looking desk.  Did the top really lift up?  Obviously, I had stared a little too long because the next thing I knew, I was lying back on the bed and Loki was lifting the top off.

"There is something else bothering you."

"Well, is that a question or a statement?"

"It's a statement.  I know you too well now." It was true.  Loki didn't have to read my mind to know the basics of what I was thinking.  "What is it?" Another thing that had changed between us was that he no longer invaded my head when he wasn't welcome.  If I didn't want to tell him something, he respected that, waited, and listened once I was.

"It's Sigyn." Loki froze, as if realizing for the first time that she was about to become a problem again.

"I know." What?  Even though he could easily read me, it was much harder for me to do the same.  He had had centuries of practice hiding his emotions and could do so easily if he wanted to. "I just hoped that you would not realize it." Oh, "That's why we're going away to Midgard for two weeks."