Chapter 151

This smaller ship was clearly not meant for five grown people in need of their own seat. Especially when one of those adults was holding an eleven-month-old baby. With the Racoon–Rocket–I discovered his name was, in the pilot's chair and Groot, although Loki insisted that his name was actually Tree, in another, that left one. Thor had taken it when it became clear that he needed to navigate. There were benches on either wall behind the three chairs, but after a couple of hours of sitting on one, my shoulders and neck had begun to ache. Even after putting Dreyma on the floor to explore.

"You should know, that really isn't the cleanest surface." Rocket grimaced.

"Do you want her to start crying again?"

"I am Groot." I rolled my shoulders, trying to appease the pain.

"Here." Loki began massaging my shoulders, and while that worked while he was doing it, as soon as he stopped, the aches returned. I groaned and laid down with my head in his lap, one wing on the floor to keep me from falling and the other bent sharply against the wall.

"Thor? Can I sit in your seat for awhile?"

"Of course, Sister." I practically scrambled for it once he got up, more grateful for a headrest and armrests than I'd ever been in my life. In the meantime, Loki laid down on the bench with an arm under his head.

"I am Groot."

"Tinkle in the cup. We're not looking, what's there to see? It's a twig, everybody's seen a twig before."

"I am Groot!"

"Tree, pour what's in the cup out into space and go in the cup again."

"You speak Groot?"

"We both do. They taught it on Asgard, it was an elective."

"I am Groot."

"Is this all we have to look forward to when she starts talking, Mira? Attitude?"

"I certainly hope not."

"You'll know when we're close." Well, ok. I'd been on the verge of asking that question myself, "Nidavellir's forge harnesses the blazing power of a neutron star. It's the birthplace of my hammer. It's truly awesome." Thor was brooding rather heavily, and it seemed to concern even Loki. When Dreyma tottered up to him, Thor paid her only a token of attention. Rocket seemed concerned as well. He turned back to look at Thor, sitting on the bench opposite Loki.

"Ok, time to be the captain." He got up and headed to the back. Loki took the opportunity and wedged himself into the clearly too-small chair just to get away from the thick atmosphere.

"So, brother who likes to play dead, huh? Yeah, that could be annoying."

"Well he's played dead before, but this time it was truly gruesome. And I thought Mira and Dreyma were gone as well."

"And you said your half sister and your dad–"

"Both dead."

"But you still got a mom, though?" Loki stiffened. I reached forward and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Stabbed and put into a coma. But her body was destroyed with Asgard.

"A best friend?"

"Stabbed through the heart. They're my only family."

"You sure you're up to this particular murder mission?"

"Absolutely! Rage and vengeance, anger, loss, regret, they're all tremendous motivators. They're really clear in my mind, so I'm good to go." Loki and I both knew he was lying through his teeth.