Chapter 129

Steve's POV

When I exited Mira and Loki's room, the others were right outside the door and looked at me expectantly. All I could tell them was that she had made great progress. Over the next nearly two and a half hours, we all stood there, listening intently to what little we could hear inside. Soon, Mira's cries and screams of pain were consistent and loud enough to make me cringe at the volume. Although Eir insisted that it was a good sign, I could not help but worry about her. When said screams died out and no baby crying took their place, we all feared the worst, but not long after, they picked up again and about fifteen minutes later, we heard a baby crying. As soon as that sound reached us, I breathed a sigh of relief. The worst was over.

"That's my cue." Eir reached for the handle, and before I could stop her, Bucky did the honors.

"You weren't any help to them earlier, an something tell me they're more than competent to handle things on their own now." In my peripheral, I could see the others come to attention, ready for a confrontation, but none came. Eir backed off, jaw muscles tight.

A few minutes later, the door cracked open and Loki came out. His hair was disheveled, he looked exhausted, he lacked a shirt and was wiping his moist hands on a white towel soaked almost entirely with blood but he was grinning from ear to ear.

"And?"

"Mira's ok, she's sleeping. We have a daughter, her name is Dreyma." There were some cheers and applause. Hearing that Mira was ok really took a load of weight off my shoulders. I had felt so helpless supporting her while she was in so much pain, but to hear that it had all paid off was the best thing I'd heard in months.

"Congratulations, Loki." I stepped forward to give him a hug, and while he objected at first, mumbling something about being a mess, he accepted it.

"Thank you. All of you. Eir, I'd like you to come in now and give Dreyma a health check. Forgive me for booting you all earlier, but Mira just really needed a safe, quiet space to be alone with me. I hope you can understand."

"Of course we do." I replied immediately. He opened the door further to let Eir in, and the rest of us crowded the entry, peeking in to try and get a glimpse of something, but the curtains around the bed were closed and sealed.

"And don't worry, you'll all meet her soon." The door closed and we all resumed our previous posts, waiting. Only this time, without the heavy atmosphere around us.

Mira's POV

I didn't really fall asleep, I was just dozing, so I heard Loki open the curtains before he slipped in behind me. Then, I felt a foreign pair of hands take hold of Dreyma. I gripped her tighter and squealed.

"It's just Eir, darling. She needs to make sure the baby is healthy." I reluctantly relinquished her and clung to Loki. I didn't open my eyes, but I knew Eir stayed in Loki's view because I could feel that his neck was twisted. After a few minutes, Eir spoke.

"She seems perfectly healthy to me." I opened my eyes and both Loki and I reached for her. Eir handed Dreyma to Loki and I made a noise of displeasure.

"Doe, I've yet to hold her properly and Eir needs to check you." Said healer had knelt down next to me.

"Now, where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere. I feel like I've been run over. Especially here." I put a hand all across my lower abdomen.

"Do you have sharp or stabbing pain distinct from the rest of the pain?"

"Not really." Eir nodded, apparently satisfied.

"The worst of the pain should fade within the next few days, but if you are in serious discomfort after that, I want you to come see me. And you two must not have any intimate contact for six to eight weeks while her body recovers from the labor and the pregnancy."