Chapter 136

The ground was fast-approaching, I barely had enough time to think before I acted. I pushed Thor away, escaping his grasp just in time to deploy my wings. The pain was excruciating, but when I saw how hard Thor hit the....it wasn't grass, or rocks, it looked like...garbage? The garbage below, I didn't mind the pain as much. I used my wings to slow my momentum just enough to land on my feet beside him as he stood up.

"Sister, are you injured?" I shook my head.

"I don't think so." I began bouncing Dreyma on my hip. She was wailing inconsolably, "Shhh, it's ok honey, it's ok. I'm here." Thor wandered away a couple steps, looking out at the horizon. We'd landed only a few feet away from a lake. Hills of trash of all kinds was the landscape for as far as I could see. Most of it was foreign to me, but there was a few Earth-like pieces of technology here and there. Along with the bodies of dead alien creatures. The sky above us was comprised mainly of wormholes of all sizes and colors. Some of them were dumping steady streams of garbage. The largest one by far was right in front of us, across the lake of I-didn't-want-to-know.

We just stood for a moment, but then there was a sound from above. A rapidly growing object blocked out the light. A falling ship part of some sort. I took off without thinking, somehow making it to the top of a nearby trash hill, with Thor on my heels. From out current vantage point, I could see what appeared to be some sort of city skyline, but composed of the same sort of colorful trash that laid haphazardly around us.

"Thor? Where are we?"

"I don't know. But it probably isn't safe. Especially for you." His eyes found Dreyma, who was still crying despite my best efforts.

"We need to find shelter." A blaring alarm nearby underscored my statement. The source of the noise was a large, L-shaped ship. The middle portion of the bottom of the 'L' detached from the rest and came in our direction.

"Mira, hide. Now." I inspected the closest pile of trash, looking for a suitable place to hide. With only the slightest hesitation, I climbed into what looked to be what was once part of a ship. The stench inside was incredibly sweet and the air sweltering hot, my enhanced nose was overwhelmed with it. I fell to my knees and heaved, but nothing came up. Slowly, I crawled to a broken window, holding Dreyma close to my chest and thankful for the slight decrease in the odor.

The ship that we'd previously seen landed about twenty paces away from Thor. The hatch opened and several humanoids emerged. All of them wore ragged, rough-looking clothes. Cloaks of the same sort of texture covered most of their skin, and crude masks covered the rest. All of them bore at least two different weapons. The one who appeared to be the leader removed his mask. His skin was white.

"Are you a fighter?" He had an accent similar to that of an Irish man, but I somehow doubted that he wasn't actually human, "Or are you food?"

"I'm just passing through." Dreyma, who had been crying moments ago, seemed to sense the danger of noise, and quieted down.

"It is food!" Several of his men stepped forward, "On your knees." Thor reached a hand out, like he was calling Mjolnir. But it took him a moment to remember that his beloved weapon was no more. And so he put his other hand up in surrender. Or so it seemed. The first goon that got within arm's reach was disarmed and thrown out of sight. A few more men came at him, and were served knuckle sandwiches, but then the leader raised a weapon. I shouted a warning, but it was too late. A net shot out and trapped Thor, electrocuting him. Thor fell to the ground, and all the other goons proceeded to kick and hit him. I was about to intervene when another ship did it for me.

The ship was white, black, and red, and while the pilot obviously wasn't the best at landing, it stopped Thor's beating. A ramp descended and the windshield opened, revealing a woman. She didn't look any older than I was. Dressed in dark leather, a blue cape, with her dark brown hair pulled back, and white war paint decorating her face, she didn't look like much to me. Especially given that all she was armed with was a bottle, which she proceeded to drain and toss away.