Chapter 114

Mira's POV

I knew there was a storm coming. Loki certainly wasn't going to let my reckless behavior go unmentioned. Steve, Bucky, and I were sitting in the Quiet Room visiting and as people finished questioning Loki, they joined us. Peter joined us almost right away, followed by T'Challa, then the twins, and then the others. Nat and Clint were the last to join us, and Loki himself followed close behind.

"Mira, may I speak with you privately for a moment?" I took a slow breath. The others had known I was expecting this, so they sent him a collective warning glare. He threw up his hands.

"I must speak with her. Can a husband and wife not have a private conversation in their own home?"

"Guys, it's fine. I really endangered myself by not leaving the room when I felt the cold coming on. We need to reconnect." I rose and we entered the stairwell. Loki shut the door behind us.

"I'm furious with you, Mira. Absolutely furious." His voice was calm, but I could see the emotions in his eyes, "This is the second time you've endangered yourself like this. You were very fortunate I was able to bring you back with no permanent damage. Even with that though, you're going to have some digestion pains, while your organs recover."

"What do you mean?"

"Mira, you were frozen solid from your breasts to your knees! You aren't supposed to be able to do that. Your body is going to rebound and it won't be pleasant."

"And I deserve that. And you deserve to be mad. But look where it got us! The team is talking again. Not yelling."

"But you can't go and endanger yourself every time something like this happens! Your own health, and our baby's safety has be your top priority. I know it's mine. You owe us all that. We've been through so much already that was beyond our control, but you were very much in charge of this decision, and I could not be more disappointed in you right now." I looked down, no longer able to meet his gaze. What had I done? I'd endangered my life, my child's life, just to keep a secret that would've come out soon anyway! Loki was making it very clear that I was lucky to get out relatively unscathed. That may not happen next time! Loki should be yelling at me, screaming at me! Not speaking in a totally calm voice. In fact, it would be better if he was yelling. It would make me feel so much less guilty.

"I'm sorry." I choked out, "I'm so sorry. I'll never do it again. I'll never go anywhere without you." I covered my face as the tears began to fall and my limbs began to shake. Not from cold, but from pure shock.

"Come here." Loki tried to put his arms around me, but I pushed him away.

"No! I don't deserve your comfort. You're right. What I did was stupid and reckless." Loki said nothing, but every time he stepped towards me, I took one away. This pattern continued until my back hit the wall, leaving me nowhere to go but his arms. I tried to squirm away, but then Loki began to shush and croon at me, something he'd never done before. That made me stop. It also triggered something deep inside, something instinctual. Something that triggered the purr I had only exhibited once before. Just then, Loki's head lifted from mine and I raised my own head, eyes closed, searching for skin contact. But when his skin met mine, it was wet. My purring stopped and before my eyes could open, he began to speak.

"I-I was so sc-scared. I thought–" He sniffed, "I thought I'd lost you. I thought we'd lost our baby. You were s-so cold. " We were both crying now, and neither of us had the strength to remain on our feet. So we sank to the ground and held each other until we both calmed down. I didn't know how to get my purr back, so I mimicked it as best I could. Just the similar sound seemed to calm us both down.