Chapter 152

Eitri led us along the ring, carefully stepping around the destruction. Along either wall were several identical structures, but I couldn't figure out their purpose until we stopped at the end. A pair of metal clamps lowered what appeared to be an elaborate piece of stonework.

"This is the plan? We're gonna hit him with a brick?"

"It's a mold." Eitri explained, "A king's weapon, meant to be the greatest in Asgard. In theory, it could even summon the Bifrost."

"In theory?" Loki crossed his arms.

"Aye. It has never before been crafted."

"Did it have a name?"

"Stormbreaker."

"That's a bit much."

"For once, I agree with you."

"So how to we make it?"

"You'll have to restart the forge, awaken the heart of a dying star." The dwarf looked out into space, at the metal ball. Thor followed his gaze.

"Rabbit, fire up the pod. The rest of you stay here."

"You have no ground on which to order me around." Loki looked at me, "I think it would be best if the three of us remained here." I rolled my eyes.

Thor and Rocket raced back to the pod, but the rest of us walked back with Eitri and the mold. By the time we'd returned and placed the mold, the pod was already out among the rings. I couldn't see it, but we could all hear them over the coms.

"I don't think you get the scientifics here. These rings are gigantic. You wanna get them moving, you're gonna need something a lot bigger to yank them lose."

"Leave that to me."

"Leave it to you? Buddy, you're in space. All you got is a rope and a–" Rocket yelped.

"What's going on out there?" The only response I got was more wordless shouting. Meanwhile, Loki was trying to get Dreyma to stand, not looking at all concerned.

"What's your deal?" I demanded.

"You have known Thor for how long?"

"Six years." Wow. Had it really been that long?

"And yet you still have not learned that when he has a plan, no matter how stupid it is, it is futile to try and stop him?" He had a point, "It is fruitless to be concerned–"

"Fire the engines!" The pod streaked across space, trailing a wire and–Thor!?–behind it.

"How can he survive out there?! He's just in the vacuum of space!"

"Asgardians are far more hardy than humans, but even we can only withstand it for brief periods." Thor caught on one of the rings.

"More power, rabbit!" A few moments later, a great tremor rocked the ring we were on. Dreyma fell down, I grabbed for a pillar, and even Eitri stumbled a bit. Only Loki and Groot, who had been sitting, were unaffected. As all the rings moved in sync, the ball grew brighter and brighter, eventually blasting off the metal coverings when the rings came into alignment.

"Well done, boy." My hand drifted to the dragon's breath opal that hung around my neck. My most important possession, as it still kept me alive. The two looked so much alike it was stunning.

"That's Nidavellir!" Thor's giddy voice exclaimed.

"Move." Loki pulled me to him, "You're standing far too close to the path of the energy for my taste. Just then, a bright bean of light came streaming in, hitting the machinery above where the mold was set. But it only lasted a few moments. Something far away broke and the beam stopped soon after.