Chapter 89

Mira's POV

I don't know how long we were in the air, but I was woken up rudely when we landed. A pair of agents came into the cell and hauled me out of bed before I had the chance to get oriented. Once we exited the plane, I saw that it was the middle of the night. My enhanced eyes allowed me to see more so than most, but still not enough to really see my surroundings. I knew I was up high somewhere, because I could see the soft lights of a village below. I was probably in some sort of castle or fortress, given that I was in Europe. I was escorted into the building and found that I was right. The walls were made of old, uneven gray stones. Several halls branched off the main corridor I was being walked down. It seemed the guards had a destination in mind. That turned out to be a cell that was almost exactly the same as the one I had been in on the plane.

"Sleep. Your training starts in the morning." I was shoved harshly into the cell.

"Wait, what training?" But they turned away and refused to answer me. My stomach was empty but there was no food waiting for me. There was almost no light in the cell at the moment, the door was made of steel and given the cloudy night, only a little bit of night was coming in from the tiny, barred window high up on the far wall. After sleeping on the plane, I thought there was no way I would be able to get any more, but I found that I was wrong, because the next thing I knew, I was standing on a gray plain with no sky and no ending.

"Mira." His voice was unmistakable and suddenly, I remembered the dream I'd had at Sam's house.

"Loki! You have to help me!" I ran to him, "I've been captured. I've been taken back to Strucker! You have to get me out of here!"

"Shhhh, slow down. Where are the others?"

"They're still in America. I'm in Sokovia. They have to stop something, they won't be coming after me!"

"Who is this Strucker?"

"My creator. I haven't seen him since the day I escaped but I know he worked hard to track me down. I was lucky SHIELD found me first. At the time, at least."

"Why are the not protecting you now?"

"SHIELD has fallen. Or it will fall. It's a corrupt agency now, and it seems that I am once again nothing more than living property."

"What of the other Avengers?"

"I don't know where they are and I don't know how they would be able to get here without being stopped. Please. You're my only hope, Loki."

"Where are you being kept?"

"I told you."

"No, I mean your room. What is it like?"

"The only window is about a foot high and two feet long. I can't fit through it. They put a contraption on my wings and I can't hide them anyway. I need to be able to shrink. Or teleport. Or something!"

"Why can you not hide them?" I winced.

"I got in a fight. One of the was dislocated. I need to let it heal. I shouldn't fly on it as it is."

"How far do you think you can get with it? If you were to get out."

"A mile, maybe two."

"Where are you? A village? A city?"

"I don't know. I came in at night."

"See if you can get deep into a forest. If you're in a major city, you're going to have to hide your wings, change your appearance and get to a populated area."

"But how do I get out?"

"Since we don't know how your unique makeup will adapt to full-on shapeshifting, I'm going to have to teach you how to shrink."