12. Divided Beyond Notice

The next day you were visiting Chara rather early than usual. Most of the time, you'd visit them around afternoon. But this time it was still morning, somewhere around 10 AM. Frisk reminded you to bring the chocolate bar for Chara before you left. Sure, Chara was a genocidal demon but they seemed to have a soft spot for sweets, especially chocolate. That personality trait gave both you and Frisk hope that Chara had a bigger chance at living on the surface. 

As you approached the path that led up Mt. Ebott, you were surprised to see other humans here. Well, they were only 2 men. But they were both wearing some kind of suit or uniform. At first you thought they were policemen, but then you noticed that their suits were a rather dark shade of brown. These 2 were guards that protected the forest trail and animals near this mountain. They were both guarding the path in front of you, one on either side. But why were they over here? Aren't they supposed to be over by the forest trail?

You began to panic as of why they were standing there. Did something happen? Approaching the 2 men, you tried to look calm as possible as you walked on the path between both of them. Suddenly one of them tapped your shoulder and turned you around. "Whoa, whoa there. Where you going, buddy?", he said in a rather serious tone. Your heart began to race as the other guard turned to look at you aswell. "Oh, I'm just here to look at the scenery.", you said nervously. Both guards stayed silent, eyeing you carefully. 

"Show us your pockets." Stay calm, stay calm... it's not like I have anything anyway..., you thought while taking your phone out of your pocket. You then pulled out your wallet and the chocolate bar. The 2 guards eyed your 3 items carefully, before giving them all back to you. "Alright, just be careful.", one of them said while patting your shoulder. "I will, thank you both.", you said kindly. Walking up the path once again, you were still nervous. Why were they guarding the path? 

If something happened, it didn't seem too serious. There was only 2 men protecting the path, no police line tape or warning signs or anything major. Reaching the open cavern, you walked inside and made your way to the Judgement Hall. "Chara?", you called out as you walked down the corridor. At first there was no response and you started to worry if something happened to them. "I'm here." they said as they appeared right in front of your face. But before you could realized that, you bumped into the right side of their body and tripped but caught your balance right after. "Didn't mean to startle you.", they laughed. You grunted playfully and turned around to face them. "Morning! I brought you this." 

You took the chocolate bar out of your pocket and gave it to them. "Ahh yes. It's been quite a while since I've even eaten one of these!", they exclaimed while examining the bar in their hands. "You've been craving one?", you asked playfully. "You have no idea!", they said in disbelief. You both laughed a little until you heard your notification sound from your phone. Before you could check what it was for, Chara suddenly spoke. "What were those voices on the surface about? They've been here since midnight." You began to worry again. "Actually I don't know. There are two human guards protecting the path that leads here though. I thought you knew something about it.", you responded. Chara shook their head no. Your phone's notification sound rang again.

"Hold on a sec.", you said turning around. Pulling out your phone, you saw that you had gotten 2 text messages from Frisk. Opening it, the first one said: 

"(Y/N) you need to get out of there quickly."

The second one said:

"It's an emergency!"

You began to get nervous. Turning back to Chara, you tried to calm yourself down. "I gotta go, I might be back but I'm not sure." Chara looked at you a little suspiciously, but eventually sighed and nodded. "Alright." You gave them a quick smile and walked out of the Judgement Hall and the Throne Room. Approaching the surface light, you clicked your contacts and called Frisk's. You walked out of the Underground and stood at the edge of the cliff side, looking out at the beautiful morning view as you put your phone to your ear. In a matter of seconds, Frisk picked up. 

"What's the matter?", you asked seriously, but with a tang of worry. "(Y/N), we have a serious problem here.", they paused for a second. "What?" You began to grow impatient at Frisk's silence. "Humans might block off the Underground completely. A lot of people are saying it's to prevent suicide attempts or any dangerous activities.", they finally said.

Your heart skipped a beat. People can't block off the Underground, how else are you gonna visit Chara?

"You've got to be kidding me.", you said nervously. "It's true, there's even a national poll on the internet for people to take if they want the Underground to be closed off or not." You felt yourself tense up; this couldn't be happening. Not now. "Does the poll show results so far?", you asked. You could hear clicking in the background of the call. "Yeah, so far 48% of people want it to be closed." Before they could say anything else, you asked: "What about the people who don't want it closed?"

"23%...", they said sadly. You cursed under your breath. "No wonder...", you thought aloud. "No wonder what?", Frisk suddenly asked. You began to turn around and walk back down the path that lead up here. "There are two guards protecting the path that leads to the Underground. They let me through but they had to check my stuff." You said that in a rather serious and annoyed voice, which you didn't expect. But how else would you react? Not only would you not be able to see Chara, but the Underground had very beautiful scenery aswell. 

"Really? Oh god...", their voice was in utter disbelief. "Do I tell Chara?", you said as you finally passed by the 2 guards next to the path. What you didn't know was that they both had heard you. 

"I don't know, I guess you should? I mean you've barely known each other for a short time, I don't think they'll want to come to the Surface already... but it's worth a shot.", Frisk said thoughtfully. "Alright, wish me luck." With that you ended the call and stopped walking. You turned around and began to walk back, that was until, the 2 guards stopped you. "Okay, what are you in a rush for?", one of them asked.

You began to become even more nervous, your heart was beating so fast you felt like it was lodged in your throat. "I-I... I forgot-" The two guards noticed your anxiousness and backed you up. "Alright pal you've got no business here. Go back home.", one of them said seriously. You wanted to say something so bad, you had  to; it was the only way to Save Chara. "I'm sorry sir but I-" 

"Go home or we call the police." You stared at the guard in disbelief and worry. As much as you wanted to at least do something, you couldn't. If they called the police and your guardians found out that you were climbing Mt. Ebott, you'd probably never be aloud to go out again. Sighing, you turned around and walked back through the forest. You really didn't know what to do now. You were almost paralyzed at the thought that they would lock down the Underground with Chara and maybe even Flowey still in there.

You had to do something, but with those guards suspicious of you now, you were completely stuck. You just really wanted to get Chara and Flowey (if he's even still there) to safety and out of there. You just had  to.