36. Don't Look Back

A/N

! WARNING: This chapter contains animal death! !

(no, not for Twix you're welcome)

-

It was a day like any other. You and Chara were walking side by side silently on the sidewalk on your way home from school. Stepping onto the crosswalk stretched across the street, Chara glanced to the side at the vehicles waiting for the stoplight to return green. They had an eerie feeling as a large truck's engine was rumbling silently as you both made your way across safely. Reaching the sidewalk pavement, a sudden dash of black and brown interrupted your footsteps. Quickly looking down at the rushing object as it scurried across the sidewalk, you realized it was a young cat. Not a kitten, but it was still somewhat small.

"Look at it go!", you said whilst watching the feline run at full speed as if being chased. A few feet away from you were a pile of bushes next to the pavement, and out suddenly jumped another cat, this one being a brown tabby. It seemed somewhat older, it's body being well built and taken care of, but it had no collar. It dashed after the other young furball across the sidewalk, being only a few feet away. You and Chara watched as the small cat up ahead suddenly took a sharp turn and padded across the crosswalk quickly, reaching the sidewalk and disappearing from view. 

The cat behind it followed straight after, and that's when you noticed the stoplight turned green. Immediately, the impatient vehicles began to move, Chara watching one specific truck move quickly forward. You looked over at the cat racing across the crosswalk, until your horror, the truck rushed forward. The left tire caught the cat's front paws as it tried to stop itself, eventually slipping underneath the right tire. A tumble of tail and fur along with moving cars blocked your view of said feline. 

You began to feel slight worry as the large truck continued rushing ahead as if nothing happened. Once a few cars had drove away, a clear view was set out onto the street. There laid the cat, it's front paws stretched out. You realized it wasn't moving, and you could slightly make out the color of pink and red next to it's head and belly. Chara looked at the lifeless creature, then over at you. The look on your face showed sadness and shock. You just watched a cat mercilessly get it's life crushed out of it right in front of you. Chara began to grow nervous on how to react or what to do. 

"Oh my god...", you managed to say. "Avert your eyes!", Chara replied turning you around by your shoulders. You tried to shake the thought of what you saw out of your head as you fixed your backpack over your shoulder. "Are you alright?", Chara asked concernedly after realizing you weren't talking. You looked at them for a few moments before giving a small nod. "Yeah it's just... how could people literally do that and not care?", you wondered aloud, trying your best to keep yourself from turning around and glancing at the road-killed cat. 

"Tch, it's another reason I hate humans.", Chara replied rather harshly, which you didn't really expect. You sighed to yourself and looked at the ground for a few heartbeats before speaking up again: "We should take Twix for his vaccines."

-

A/N: "It was a day like any other." <<< Why you gotta be so cheesy, Kira? This chapter just turned into a depressing lottery commercial. Anyhow, yes this chapter was literally a filler but hey at least it's something! (Also, I'm guessing the song "Kagerou Days" by Vocaloid inspired me to write this?) I might upload an actual chapter later today if I'm not too lazy.