19. Patience For Love

Instead of walking the long way or taking the bus, you decided to take a stroll through the park on your way home from school. Chara was walking right next to you, and to both your luck not many people were here right now. Everything was still, except for a small wind blowing through the trees. The sound of the busy city could be heard in the distance, but the beautiful tune of bird song seemed to almost completely cover over it. 

You and Chara were completely silent, not knowing what to speak about. As you kept walking down the sidewalk in the middle of the park, something brown caught your eye. It was hidden under a bench, and you skidded to a halt next to it. Chara stopped next to you to look down at the small object underneath the seat. You bent down to see what it was, and noticed it was a small box. That's when it suddenly shifted. You slowly pulled the box out from under the bench and looked up at Chara once you put your fingers on the edges of the box. They just simply looked down at you and shrugged.

Looking back at the box, you slowly opened the flaps and looked inside. A small yelp emerging from the old piece of cardboard caused Chara to kneel down next to you. Inside the box was a small adorable puppy. His coat was beautifully covered in brown and cream colored dapples and spots. 

You immediately awwed at the small creature, gently picking him up out of the box and laying him on your lap. Chara stared at the puppy awkwardly, then looked back to the empty box. They picked it up and examined it's sides. Looking on the back of the box, there were the words "Free Puppies" written in marker. "Free puppies...?", Chara read aloud. "Are you kidding me? This breed looks so expensive!", you said whilst looking down at the puppy in your lap. He began to sniff your shirt and squirm across your legs. Stumbling towards the left, he climbed onto Chara and rubbed his face into their shirt. 

Chara looked away from the box and down to the pup tugging on their shirt. "Oh okay...", was all they said as he snuggled into their lap with happy yelps. "I think he likes you!", you giggled. The small dog jumped for Chara's hand and began to nibble on their finger. The little thing was so cute, how could not even the owner want him? Pulling out your phone, you opened your camera and quickly took a picture of the puppy crawling over Chara without them noticing. That one would be sent to Frisk. Opening your backpack, you pulled out the selfie stick (F/N) had gifted you and attached your phone to the end. "Say puppies!", you exclaimed going shoulder-to-shoulder against Chara. "Puppies!", they exclaimed holding the puppy upwards toward the camera. That one would be for yourself. 

Taking another quick picture of the pup himself, you opened your guardians's contact and sent it to them. Afterwards you typed: "I found him in a box that says free puppies, can I keep him?" You sent the text and a few moments later one of your guardians responded: "Are you sure? He'll be a big responsibility and we can't always be home." Seeing how cute the little guy was, you texted: "I promise!" Eventually after a short series of questions, both your guardians agreed to allow you to keep him.

"Can we keep him?", you asked looking over to Chara. They looked back at you then down at the puppy. "Is it okay with your guardians?", they asked curiously. You nodded your head yes and Chara agreed with you to keep him. Picking him up, you both decided to head to the PetSmart and buy supplies for the new pup. Walking into the store, you and Chara approached one of the managers and asked which breed your new pet was. He apparently is a Mini Dapple Dachshund, which was good so he wouldn't cause much of a mess in the house.

Chara carried the puppy in their arms as you picked the supplies from the shelves. Honestly seeing how gentle they were being with the young dog made your determination stronger than ever. 

Eventually after buying everything necessary, you and Chara headed home and set the puppy inside. You both kept an eye on him as he stumbled and jumped around the house happily, sniffing all the furniture. Along the way back home, you tried to come up with a name for your new pet, but nothing seemed fitting enough. You and Chara had both decided to name him after something that had to do with chocolate though, since his coat was so unique. "We still haven't come up with a name...", you thought aloud. "How about Twix?", Chara suggested whilst still watching their new shared pet.

"What?", you asked turning to them. You sounded more amazed than just asking for a remark. "Twix.", they repeated looking to you. "Oh my god... Chara you're a genius!!", you exclaimed happily at them. Chara just smiled and chuckled at your words. "I know~.", they purred.

-

A/N: Ayyye you and Chara have a puppy now! >w> Also, if you already have a pet dog irl, just think of it like you got another one! I personally have 2 dogs, and this chapter's idea was dedicated to a stray puppy that I actually took in for a little while. (Which I mentioned in Chapter 11's end A/N.) Eventually one of my neighbors decided to take him in, and I'm glad he's in a good home now. They only live 2 houses away so I can see him every now and then!    ( '•̥̥̥ω•̥̥̥' )