39. Even Though

A/N: Sorry there was no update for 2 days!! I got lazy and when I finally got everything planned, I ended up having no time to write aaaa sorry!! ;o; Here it is now though!

Scenario requested by: Sansiscool22

-

You watched Chara sigh quietly from the couch as they kept their eyes on the TV screen. They seemed to be acting pretty... off  today. They didn't have their usual smile set across their face, and when they spoke, their voice sounded somewhat dull. At first you thought it was because of the incident with (EX/N) and the small kiss later that night, but it's been 2 days and you both acted as if the kiss never happened. Which left part of you relieved, since you'd be more embarrassed to see them every morning. Still though, you had tried checking their temperature in case they somehow managed to get sick, even though they clearly told you they felt fine. You thought they probably just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but eventually one sentence they told you made you understand better:

"It's just the genocide timelines."

At that moment you figured Chara must be having flashbacks or distant memories of being in control of a soul and having the capacity to hurt. And since they can't, their mind must be messing with them. You tried doing all you could think of to cheer them up, but nothing truly seemed to work. Playing video games made them smile a little, but it still didn't satisfy you enough. You tried having them play monkey-in-the-middle with you and Twix, and yet it didn't feel right. You even got a KitKat chocolate bar and put it in their mouth from behind them, but they just simply sat there without even nibbling it. At one point you were even brushing the ends of their hair, and it still didn't feel enough.

Nothing seemed to cheer them up to satisfy either of you. They told you countless times that these thoughts would just pass on their own, but you stayed determined to bring their normal personality back. You finally finished making them a sundae, in which you were returning the favor when they made you one. You quietly grabbed a spoon out of a cupboard and put it into the cup of ice cream. You carefully sneaked behind the couch and peeked over the cushion to look at Chara's blank expression, their head resting on their palm. Grabbing a spoonful of the sundae carefully, you readied your arm to aim for Chara's mouth. 

Wait for it...wait for it...

They opened their mouth to sigh to themself, in which you quickly took that chance to place the spoon into their mouth. Their eyes immediately shot open at the sudden cold sweetness in their mouth, which made you smile to yourself. You put your arms over the top of the couch to hand them the glass cup, in which they hesitated for a few moments before grasping it from you. You walked around the couch and took a seat next to them. "Thanks, but you really don't-" "Shh.", you interrupted, since you already knew what they were going to say. 

"I'm not gonna stop until I'm sure you're feeling better.", you added. Before Chara could respond, Twix came padding into the room to approach you. He made little growls as he struggled to jump onto the couch. "C'mon boy, jump!", you said whilst patting the spot next to you. Twix hesitated several times before trying to leap next to you, but no avail and slipped off. You laughed a little before picking him up and laying him in your lap. Immediately, Twix walked over your legs and onto Chara's, pointing his nose in the direction to the sweet treat they were holding. His attempt to sniff the glass went to no avail as Chara continued to lean the sundae away from him. "I can't give you any, this is poison to you!", they said as Twix was eventually climbing their shoulders. 

You laughed as they continued to move the sundae in ever direction to keep Twix from getting close to the frozen treat. You grasped him from Chara's body and kept him in your arms. For a while he tried to struggle a little, but eventually gave up and started to dig into your shirt. You decided to feed him, which luckily had him taking a nap afterwards. Eventually Chara decided to just 'lay in bed', even though it was 4 PM. Even then, you were inside the guest room with them, sitting next to the bed whilst using your laptop. Chara watched the screen drowsily as they laid under the covers, feeling exhausted for who knows what reason. You were watching videos of people doing epic fails or just simple kitten video tapes, but Chara still didn't smile. After a while, you realized they had gone completely silent, and glanced up slightly to look at them.

Their eyes were closed, and you recalled them telling you not to let them fall asleep because they might dream about genocide which will only make their thoughts worst. "Chara?", you whispered as you paused the video to look at them. They didn't respond or even flinch, so you said their name again but to no avail. You grunted and booped their nose. Still nothing. You continued booping their nose several times until you figured they actually fell asleep. You wanted to wake them up, you had to. But you knew one of the best things to do when stressed is sleep, even if Chara wasn't exactly human. Still, Chara would just get their mind worked up even worst if you didn't wake them up.

Sighing, you pulled your laptop off your lap and placed it on the nightstand next to you. Standing up, you hesitated a few seconds before placing your hands on their shoulders and shaking their form lightly. You whispered their name as you did this, in which eventually turned into taps. Chara was literally asleep as if dead. You had no other choice but to take drastic measures to wake this stubbornly sleeping demon. You backed up a few feet before taking a deep breath. Heartbeats later, you charged towards the bed, and jumped atop Chara's body. 

Immediately Chara's eyes shot open, a surprised scream ringing from their throat. "Wake up sleeping beauty!", you laughed as they struggled under your form. "Don't do that!", they said playfully as they were pinned under your back. "Well you didn't want me to let you sleep!", you stated as you sat up. "Still!", Chara pouted as they sat up next to you. Moments later, they pinned you down onto the mattress by your arms, your faces only being a few inches from each other. "Next time, just give me chocolate okay?", they said, smiling down at you. Yep, Chara's back to normal.