42. Play Fair

A/N: Sorry for the constant skipping of days, summer vacation means getting to slump on the couch and game while drinking milkshakes. Not to mention the bursting heat here, it completely drains me ;v; But!! Writing this story is really fun for me to do (surprisingly), especially when I receive your feedback! 

-

It was early afternoon, and you and Chara decided to go fishing at a local lake. You weren't exactly that much of an expert to fishing, and neither was Chara. So this was a whole new thing for both of you. 

You were both currently inside the small boat you rented earlier, not being too far from the dock. Inside the wooden boat were your fishing equipment: fishing rods, bait, a canister full of water, and towels... just in case. Luckily the lake wasn't that deep, so you wouldn't have to worry much about drowning. Applying the fish bait to the end of your fishing rod, you moved your arm back and swung it forward, releasing the long string. It went quite a long way away from you, which you were actually proud of. "Nice throw.", Chara complimented. "Thanks. Bet you can't do better!", you challenged, knowing they would be determined to beat you.

"Pssh! Watch and learn (Y/N).", Chara stated before picking up their fishing rod and placing bait on the hook. You watched them aim the wire towards the water for a few moments before they threw their arm back and swung it forward. The wire went flying ahead, which unfortunately for you, landed 2 feet farther than yours. "Hah!", Chara said proudly. You grunted at their victory, eventually going silent as you both sat and waited for a fish to eat the bait. "2 out of 3?", you suggested, wanting to get even with them. "Alright.", they sighed whilst looking over to you. 

"Whoever catches the biggest fish wins!", you exclaimed. "You're on!", Chara replied enthusiastically. You both sat in silence, staring over at your own fishing wire underneath the water. Quite a long period of silence went by, and truly you constantly felt like breaking it. But fishing against Chara seemed to take a lot of concentration, and you kept the silence going. You quickly glanced over at them, only to see their red eyes practically glued onto the water. You smiled to yourself and looked back at your rod, finding the atmosphere relaxing. 

Suddenly you felt a slight tug on the wire, and your senses snapped into action. It wasn't too strong of a tug, and for a second you thought it was nothing, until you noticed the hook was being pulled. You immediately tugged the fishing rod back, quickly reeling in the wire. Pulling the hook above water, out splashed a somewhat small fish, dangling from the end of the rod. You hesitated at first, but placed the fish into the canister of water and released it from the hook. "I can beat that.", Chara stated whilst looking down at the small creature.

The fish you caught was rather small, so it would be easy for Chara to win now. But you still had a chance. Applying another piece of bait onto the end of your rod, you turned around, facing the other side of the lake. You flung your arm forward, hoping bigger fish would be on this side of the water. Eventually, you found Chara somewhat leaning against the side of your body, you soon doing the same. Now you were sitting shoulder to shoulder with them, calmly watching your fishing rods wade in the water. 

You suddenly felt Chara's shoulder pulled back away from you, and when you glanced behind you, you realized they had caught a fish. Seemed to be quite a strong one too. Once they placed the fish into the canister, you mentally sighed in relief as you and Chara both noticed your fish were the same size. "No way!", Chara sighed. You laughed a little at their grumpiness before looking back at your rod. You arms were suddenly pulled forward, which caught you off guard for a moment. You pulled the wire back as you reeled it in, your back bending back enough that you were able to see Chara's face.

"Oh hi.", you said smiling at them as you kept struggling against whatever was hooked on your fishing wire. "Do I know you?", Chara joked whilst looking somewhat down at you. Moving forward, you pulled said string out of the water to reveal a medium-sized fish struggling at it's end. "I win!", you exclaimed as you quickly released the fish back into the water after Chara looked at it. You proceed on releasing the other 2 fish inside the canister back into the water, Chara watching your every move. "Not fair, you turned to the deeper side of the water!", they pouted, crossing their arms over their chest like a child after putting their fishing rod down. 

"Still, I won~!", you said proudly. Before you could react, you were suddenly pushed forward and lost your balance. Falling and splashing into the cold water, you struggled to keep your head up. "Hey!", you called as you held yourself against the side of the boat. "That's your prize for wining!", Chara purred as they looked down at you from the boat, your hair becoming soaked by the second, not to mention your clothes. "Here's your prize for losing!", you said as you brought your hands up to the side of the boat. You quickly put all your weight against it to make the boat side flip over, which gladly succeeded. 

Chara struggled to stay on the inside, but you pulled them into the water by grabbing their shoulders. They struggled to keep their head up as you climbed back into the boat, wrapping yourself in a towel. Eventually Chara managed to climb back in next to you, and you tossed them a towel as they attempted to fix their hair away from their eyes. You gave them an innocent smile as they gave you an unamused look, which eventually turned into a small chuckle. They scooted next to you and embraced you into a hug, which made you blush for a split second. You both sat in silence once again, gaining warmth from each other's presence.