23. Let Me Go

You woke up with a sudden jolt, almost feeling like you suffocated in your sleep. Your eyes looked around the room as you pulled the soft blanket off of you. The TV was on, and glancing at the clock in the kitchen you realized it was 7 PM. Sitting up, you stretched and yawned.

Suddenly Twix came into the room barking uncomfortably. His tail was between his legs and he clawed at your legs. "What's the matter boy?", you asked looking down at him. Glancing into the kitchen you saw Twix's food bowl sitting empty next to the bag of dog food. You sighed to yourself as you walked towards the bowl, filling it with the puppy chow. Twix eyed the bowl hungrily as you did so, him constantly falling backwards on his hind legs. "Here you go, boy.", you said gently as you put the food bowl on the floor next to him. He immediately started knawing at his food, his tail wagging in satisfaction.

"Did Chara forget to feed you?", you called as you walked to the TV screen and turned it off. You glanced around and noticed Chara was nowhere to be seen. "Speaking of which, where is Chara?", you asked yourself rather than to Twix. "Chara?", you called out. There was no response, so you walked down the hallway towards the bedroom doors. "Chara, you in here?", you said as you knocked on the guest room door. Opening it, you realized they weren't here. You began to get a little concerned as you walked towards the bathroom. "Chara? C'mon it's a little too late to be playing tricks...", you said wearily before opening the bathroom door. Looking inside, they weren't here either.

You tried to listen to that pulling sensation in your chest, but to your shock, it wasn't there. It almost made you feel empty. "Chara?", you called out once again as you checked all the other rooms but to no avail. You began to panic; they didn't leave you did they? "Twix have you seen Chara?", you asked looking over at the small pup still nibbling at his food. You weren't really asking a question, rather you were trying to comfort yourself. Twix only looked up at you when he heard his name, but then went straight back to eating.

Was this some kind of prank? If it was, it didn't seem very funny to you anymore. You walked towards the front door and glanced outside. It was already dark, the only light coming from the street lights and distant city lights. You even looked in the backyard; and still no presence of Chara. Going back inside your household, you sat at the kitchen table, watching Twix finish the last of his food. "Chara you better be here!", you suddenly called out. Personally, you were trying to trick yourself into believing Chara was still here. But with that pulling sensation long gone and feeling no presence whatsoever other than Twix's, you knew they weren't here.

But if they did leave, where could they have gone off to? You don't think they can hurt anyone physically, but you weren't sure. Wait... they couldn't have went to find Frisk, could they? No, Chara told you they wanted to stay distant as possible from the merciful human. But could they have lied? 

That question almost caught you off gaurd. You didn't want to believe they were lying this whole time. Turning on your phone, you hoped you would have gotten some kind of message from Frisk. But there was no new messages, so you decided to send one. But you suddenly stopped during your typing; you might as well wait until tomorrow morning for Chara to show themself. It's too late out to do anything, and both you and Frisk had school tomorrow.

Twix barked at you, and you looked down at him. Smiling, you picked him up and carried him to your room. You closed your bedroom door behind you and placed Twix gently into his dog bed. You sat at the edge of your bed, watching Twix get comftorable. "G'night, Twix.", you whispered as you turned off the lights. You could hear Twix's calm breathing as you got under your bed sheets. You weren't really tired, but you might as well try to sleep. 

-

The next morning Chara still hadn't appeared and you began to worry. Before you left to school you had noticed one of the kitchen knives missing from the kitchen, and you realized everytime you'd look over at Mt.Ebott your heart halfly skipped a beat. Because of this, you guessed Chara must be at Mt. Ebott. During your class intermissions you would text Frisk about Chara's disappearance, and strangely Frisk said they felt the same strange feeling whenever they looked over to the blocked-off mountain.  

By the time your school hours were finished, you and Frisk both decided that you should head to Mt. Ebott and find out if Chara was there. The Underground was blocked off, so there was no way they could be in there. You headed home and dropped off your backpack, quickly after heading straight to Mt. Ebott.

As you reached the abandoned mountain, you looked up the trail leading to where the barrier used to be. Strangely, it wasn't blocked off. You kept whispering Chara's name as you made your way up the path until you reached said entrance. You took a deep breath as you could sense that pulling sensation slightly. Chara was here.

Stepping inside, you had an eerie feeling; the same one you felt when you and Chara were heading towards the flower field. Trying your best to ignore it, you made your way through the Throne Room and towards the Judgement Hall. Stepping into the long corridor, that pulling in your chest became stronger as you looked over to the other end of the hall. You called out Chara's name, hoping they would appear in front of you like back then.

*But nobody came.

Worriedly, you began to panic at the silence that filled the air. The room was brightly lit by the sunshine emending from the glass windows, and it almost made you feel uncomfortable. Suddenly, you could hear slow tapping and scraping coming from the other side of the corridor. The sound began to get louder and louder slowly. Someone was here, and whoever it was they were approaching the Judgement Hall. Was it Chara? 

The tapping and scraping sound suddenly paused briefly; and your heart began to race in your chest. You took a step back cautiously, but you stood your ground. You had nothing to protect yourself or to fight with, so your instincts were all you had. Suddenly the sound started again, and you realized it did come from someone who was here. They turned the corner, their head hanging low. 

Chara.

They limped slowly towards the middle of the corridor, but stopped not even half way. You noticed blood dripping from their clothes, and you were fearfully frozen. Their head was still hung low, and to your horror, they stood silently and looked up at you, a smile on their face. That's when you realized: the blood was theirs. Bones were gouging out of their stomach and body, blood seeping down each one and soaking into their clothes. A small trickle of blood was visible near the corner of their smiling mouth.

Their smile paralyzed you, but also had you worried. You didn't know what to think. Why were they hurt? Who hurt them? Your mind was filled with questions as silence overcame the both of you, you eyeing their form with horror. 

Suddenly, Chara took a step forward, which caused you to flinch. Before you could even react, Chara suddenly collapsed onto the floor in front of you, falling limply and unconsciously. "Chara!!", you called out in fear and worry; tears forming in your eyes.

-

A/N: Fun fact: number of times Chara's name is mentioned: 26