57. Behind Our Smiles

A/N: I feel like the excitement for this story has died for some of you since it's been so long. Oops. ;-;

-

That afternoon you, Chara, and Sans went to the theaters to watch a movie. It took a while for all three of you to agree on one movie, since you each had a somewhat different taste in films. Well, Sans just went with whatever you and Chara chose, so it didn't really matter.

When you approached the seating area for said movie, Chara sat to your left while Sans sat to your right. You and Chara cuddled up next to each other's arms slightly as the film had played. Sans, on the other hand, seemed to almost fall asleep during the middle. When it finished, you walked out whilst each of you told your opinions on the movie.

Afterwards, the three of you headed to the mall, checking out stores you haven't been to. Currently, you were all inside a large clothing store, and you had just finished exploring the large place. You quickly took a restroom break and went into the (mens/ladies) room whilst Chara and Sans waited for you outside. At first you were a little worried of leaving the two together alone, but you wouldn't take long. Although you had caught Chara constantly shooting death glares at Sans, they never said anything over the line so you didn't take it too seriously.

Hopefully the two will get along.

-

As Sans stood in silence next to Chara, he glanced to the left side of the store, looking to distract himself. But he felt the need to break the silence and start a conversation, so he did. Turning his glance to Chara, he cleared his throat to grab their attention. They didn't look over to him whatsoever, so he decided to just speak. "So uh, how's things going between you and (Y/N)?", he asked bluntly. Chara only glanced at him when they heard your name escape his teeth. They kept silent for a few moments before responding.

"Fine.", they responded calmly, looking away from him afterwards. Sans nodded in response and glanced elsewhere awkwardly. He didn't want to trigger any deadly characteristics within your demon (boy/girl)friend, so he kept caution with his words. "That's good. (He/She) really loves ya, you know.", he spoke almost hesitantly. Chara's silence only made this all the more awkward. 

"And how would you know that?", Chara suddenly asked. Sans was slightly taken aback by their sudden words, but decided to just go with it. "Well (he/she)'s told me.", he answered. They both made eye contact for a split second, which nearly caught Sans off guard. The deep shade of blood red in Chara's eyes seemed to remind him of previous timelines, in which he could barely reach memories he couldn't remember. What he didn't notice though, was a devilish smile forming on their face. The somewhat nervous expression set across his face seemed to satisfy them, and he knew because of the bad aura he sensed. 

He eventually managed to look away, but before he could say anything, Chara spoke first. "When are you going to stop fooling yourself?", they laughed. "What do you mean?", Sans asked bluntly without thinking. "Frisk is going to reset, you know they will.", Chara teased in a mocking tone. Sans nearly lost the smile set across his face, the corners of his mouth turning downwards ever so slightly. "You know-"

"I'm not playing along with your games, skeleton.", Chara hissed, interrupting Sans before he could finish his sentence. By that point, Sans let his smile turn to a neutral frown, his face showing an unamused and annoyed expression. "(Y/N)'s giving you a chance here. And so is everyone else.", he spoke in a lower tone than usual. "Don't take it the wrong way buddy, we only want you to be happy here.", he added as Chara stayed silent.

The two kept a death glare to each other, their auras seeming to be felt from across the store. "You don't know what makes me happy.", Chara coldly spoke. "(Y/N) does.", Sans pointed out almost immediately, his mood becoming less tense. "And (he/she)'s the only one.", Chara added. A few heartbeats of silence passed before Sans decided to speak again. "Yeah, but it doesn't have to stay that way. If you get to know more people-" "You don't understand, alright? You can't understand how this feels.", Chara hissed, becoming more stressed by the second.

They stood in silence, avoiding eye contact with the comedian skeleton. Sans sighed and glanced down at the floor before looking back up at your (boy/girl)friend. "I said the same thing once, you know that. More than once, actually.", he paused before continuing. "Things change. People change. And if you haven't noticed, (Y/N)'s helping you for the better.", he decided to finish there and wait for a response. Chara only seemed to be lost in their own thoughts. 

"Look, I love (Y/N). I truly do. If you really think I've changed...", Chara paused for a brief second to turn their head and look at the skeleton. "Stop worrying about me. Stop worrying about (Y/N). You think I'm going to end up manipulating (him/her) when I won't." Sans looked at them in the eye, as if trying to see if they were lying or not. "But if you think I will, don't be surprised. I will.", Chara finished. Sans eyes immediately widened, but he kept calm and began chuckling. 

"Well, you probably don't wanna do that.", he spoke as he opened his eyes, his eye sockets completely empty. Chara kept a stern look with him for a few seconds before looking away. They were about to speak, until they heard your voice approaching. "Alright, hope I didn't take long.", you said as you straightened your sleeve. "No worries pal.", Sans reassured you, his normal smiling expression set across his face. "It's alright, let's get going.", Chara spoke immediately afterwards. 

You felt like something was off, but you decided to brush it off since Sans and Chara seemed to be relaxed. Chances are they both got along just fine. Holding Chara's hand, the 3 of you walked out of the store and into the rest of the mall.

-

A/N: Aaaa I'm sorry for the long hold! Sorry, sorry, sorry! I'll try to update faster again hhhh