Trapped - Part One

“How much longer will we be stuck here?” Reid paced the lift as he had been doing on and off for the past two hours. 

“Spencer, just sit down…please. I’ve told you before, if we were the last people in the office then we’ll probably be stuck still morning. Or at least until they get the power back on and security realise we’re here,” you sighed from your spot on the floor.  

You’d both been stuck finishing up paperwork for latest case and had left the office together at around 1am. There was an immense thunderstorm happening outside the BAU headquarters and neither of you had been looking forward to driving home in the torrential rain. You’d offered Reid a lift home, to avoid being the car by yourself in the storm. Man, how you hated thunder. 

But you’d never made it to the car. The lift had grinded to a halt seconds after it had started and the power outtage had shorted the lights. You remembered hearing a high pitched shriek from the 6ft1 man standing next to you and seeing the panicked look on his face when then emergency lights had flickered on… Apparently being trapped in a lift was not his biggest fantasy.

You’d immediately hit the emergency call button but had hit it off again after an hour had passed by and no help had come, the noise of it beginning to drive you insane. Reid insisted on hitting it back on and off every ten minutes or so as he constantly rambled about how many elevator related accidents there were each year.  

You couldn’t help but chuckle at him really. You’d been part of the team for eight months now and had never seen him so panicked and frustrated. Chasing down un subs didn’t faze him but stick him in a broken elevator and he turned into a five year old girl.  

“Spencer, seriously just sit down. We might as well try and get some sleep. We could be stuck here all night,” you said. 

“All night,” he squeaked. “But we don’t have any food or drink. And w-what if we need to go to the ba-bathroom?” He was starting to stutter again. You’d noticed he did this the more worried he got.  

“Relax, I’ve got a bottle of water and emergency chips in my bag….  And as for the bathroom, well I’ve got an empty water bottle so that’s you sorted,” you replied. “I’ll just have to hold it and hope we get rescued soon.” You laughed at the expression on his face.  

Spencer hit the emergency call button on again and you winced at the sound. You watched him check his phone for the hundredth time, him hoping that somehow he’d managed to get a signal whilst trapped inside a metal box. You sighed. “Is it really that bad being stuck here with me?” you asked quietly. 

His brown eyes snapped up. “Oh no. No Y/N…It’s not that I promise. I just hate the thought of being stuck in here at all. When I was in high school I got shoved into a fair amount of lockers, so being trapped inside any small space for a long period of time just brings back memories.”

You smiled sadly. You hated hearing about the bullying and pain your friend had been through in high school. 

Standing up to street your legs, you knocked the call button off again. “Sorry, the noise is giving me a headache” you explained wearily, clicking your neck to one side. 

Suddenly the main lights flicked back on illuminatating the small space which had been your home for the past two hours.

“YES! Finally!” Reid exclaimed as the elevator began to move.

A second later the lights flicked back off and the lift jammed again, the sudden loss of motion making you knock into Reid.  

The emergency lights came back on as you steadied yourself against the wall. “Guess we’re not saved after all,” you joked trying to lighten the mood.