Fall At Your Feet

“You can’t go out dressed like that!”

You stared at your best friend Spencer Reid, your mouth open in shock at his exclamation. He’d never ever spoken to you like that before.

“I’m sorry…. I can’t go out dressed like what exactly?” You narrowed your eyes, watching his expression carefully.

“Like… Like… Erm…. Like that!”

“And what is that?”

It was Penelope’s birthday and Rossi was throwing her a party at his mansion. Her request had been that everyone dress up to the nines. So you had. You’d found a beautiful long black dress that from the back, just look like a normal dress. From the front though… It was slashed to your navel, meaning you’d had to use an alarming amount of tit tape to keep your babies under wraps. It also had a thigh high split in the other direction. You hadn’t worn anything like this in years, but you loved it. It was sexy and it made you feel like a goddess. Sure it was a bit risqué and you were fully prepared for Derek Morgan’s comments. What you hadn’t been prepared for was Spencer to be standing there looking at you like you were an alien. You didn’t live far from each other so you’d decided to catch a cab together to save money.

Spencer was struggling for words. He was sure he’d offended you but he couldn’t work out how to make it right. His crush that he’d been trying to hide for months now had suddenly risen to its full peak and he really really didn’t want you to leave the house dressed how you were. You were breathtaking to him and he didn’t want to risk someone else snatching you up, at least not until he’d figured out if he could tell you how he felt without ruining your friendship.

“Spencer… Answer the question.”

“I just… You look…. If you go out like that then some other guy will fall in love in you and I can’t handle that!"

Spencer was shocked. That wasn’t what he’d been planning to say at all.

You were also surprised but only because you never ever thought he’d say it. You knew Spencer liked you, the whole team did. You liked him too, what wasn’t there to like? But you’d wanted him to be the one to make the first move. For some reason, that was important to you.

“Why can’t you handle it Spencer?” You asked quietly, moving slightly closer to him.

He gulped, a blush forming on his cheeks as he quickly glanced over your shoulder to your apartment door. Could he make a run for it and just forget this had ever happened?

You moved closer still until you were standing in front of him. You placed the flat of your palm on his chest and asked him again. “Why can’t you handle it?”

Reid coughed, clearing his throat and looked down at you, his eyes meeting yours.

“ I… I erm… Because… Because they’ll be falling in love with the way you look tonight. I’m in love with the way you look every day.”

Oh god. Oh god. Spencer could hear his blood rushing through his veins like it was the loudest sound in the room. Why oh why had he said that? It was the truth but.. She was going to hate him.

“You…. You love me? I thought you just liked me?”

“Erm… Oh shit.”

You laughed, Spencer rarely swore. Although he was starting to worry you now. His breathing had picked up and his face was turning redder.

“Hey hey hey…” You moved your hand to his face, cupping it. “Calm down. I swear I can hear your heart beating right out of your chest.” You brushed his hair out of his eyes slowly, seeing how scared they looked.

“I…. I…. ”

“Spencer, relax. I can’t deal with you having a panic attack right now. I don’t really want our first kiss to be me giving you CPR. I’d hoped for something a little more romantic. Like maybe under the stars or something. CPR is definitely not how I’d pictured it.”

“You’ve… You’ve pictured it?”

You nodded slowly, playing with the messy hair at the base of his neck.

“If I’d have known all it would have taken to get you to say something to me about your feelings was wearing a sexy dress then I’d have done this ages ago. I like you Spencer. As a lot more than a friend before you have to ask.”

“You do?”

“Mmmm hmmmm.”

“Oh. Oh! Well… That’s that then.”

You laughed again at him. “That’s that then? Are you not even going to ask me out then?”

“Erm… Y/N. Will you do me the honour of accompanying me to Rossi’s party. As… As my date?”

“I was going with you anyway but yes, I like the as your date part.”

“I just need to check. This isn’t a joke. You’re being serious about this?”

Poor Spencer and his lack of self confidence.

“You’re a profiler. Read my body language. Am I lying?”

You stepped back so he could look at you.

“I… I honestly can’t tell. The dress is distracting me and throwing me off.”

More like the lack of dress in certain parts was distracting him.

“I’m not joking Spencer. I’d never joke about anything like that with you. We really ought to leave by the way. Or else we’ll be late.”

You picked your clutch bag up and then moved forward again, taking his hand into yours and squeezing it.

“Come on, Romeo. Let’s go.”

“Okay… I’m not leaving your side though. Men will literally fall at your feet in that outfit. You look… beautiful.”

“Spence, there’s only one man that I want falling at my feet and he’s with me now. So let’s go. Rossi has a very nice garden which in the moonlight would be a perfect setting for a romantic first kiss. Don’t you think?”

Spencer just nodded, not being able to believe that this all wasn’t a dream.