Prelude To A...

"And this is Agent Derek Morgan and finally, Dr Spencer Reid."

Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner completed his introductions and you attempted to finish your circle of handshakes around the team members you'd be working with for the next few weeks.

Holding out your hand to the messy haired Dr, you were confused when he waved his hand at you instead.

"Reid doesn't really shake hands, don't take it personally." Agent Morgan chuckled and Spencer gave a small smile.

"The number of pathogens passed during a handshake is staggering. It's actually safer to kiss." He told you, almost apologetically.

Alrighty then.

Feeling bold and like you wanted to make a lasting impression, you stepped towards your new temporary colleague and stood on your tippy toes, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Pleasure to meet you, Dr Reid."

Resting back down, you saw that he'd gone bright red.

"You too!" He squeaked out.

"Hahahaha. You did kinda ask for that one Kid!" Agent Morgan slapped him on the back good naturedly and you saw the rest of the team smiling.

"I have got to start using that line." Agent David Rossi quipped.

...

"Is it really safer to kiss, or are you just really that smooth? Cos Rossi was right, that's a great pick up line." You asked Spencer a few hours later when you were making coffee in the break out area, your eyes widening at the amount of sugar packets he was emptying into his mug.

"I'm the opposite of smooth, trust me." He told, stirring his drink.

"You're bumpy?"

He laughed at your joke and took a sip.

"I can actually feel my teeth rotting just watching you drink that, you know."

"Everyone says that, I know I should cut down but I just can't do it....And to answer your question. Yes, it is safer."

"Surely there's more pathogen passed through saliva though?" You were confused.

"If you actually were to exchange saliva with another person then you're right, more germs would be passed that way. But a simple peck on the cheek like you gave me, that's fine. Scientific studies have been done and everything. I can send you some links if you'd like to read about them."

"Nah, I think I'd prefer to have you tell me about them. If you don't mind of course." You finished mixing your own coffee, wrapping your hands around it and bringing it to your mouth. Ahhh, sweet caffeine.

"You actually want to listen to me ramble? The others normally just tell me to shut up."

He looked surprised and you felt sorry for him. You'd done your research on each of your new colleagues when you'd accepted the temporary position. Dr Reid was by far the most interesting of the lot.

And the fact that he was incredibly easy on the eye, helped too.

"I like random facts. And I get the feeling you could share a lot of them with me."

"I definitely could."

"Perhaps you could share them over dinner?"

"D-dinner..... Like.. Like a date?" He stuttered slightly, pushing his hair back nervously.

"If you like. And then.... Depending on how the night goes, we could swap some germs and pathogens? And I don't mean by shaking hands."

"Erm..... Er........ Erm."

Shit. Well this was awkward. Had you blown it already.

"Sorry, forget I said anything. I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable Spencer."

You started to walk away but he reached out and touched your arm, stopping you.

Lowering his head, his pressed his lips to your cheek the way you'd done to him this morning.

"You mean swapping germs that way?" He asked, still unsure.

You smiled and nodded. "Or maybe with our lips together even...."

"I'd like that."