Chopsticks

“Large cappuccio and large mocha to go" the coffee barista called your order out and you collected it from the counter, walking to the exit and stopping to hold it open for the next customer, someone who was clearly going to struggle with the door.

Catching sight of the person’s face as they passed you, you stepped back into the coffee shop.

“Spencer?”

Your colleague turned, lowering the huge box he was carrying to the floor. “Y/N, hi!”

You eye his parcel curiously, “A keyboard?”

He nodded and you smiled softly at him. You knew what had prompted him to purchase it, the latest case the team had just returned from had involved a young autistic boy who was a whiz on the piano. Spencer had connected with the child and it had obviously piqued a new interest.

“Are you signing up for lessons anywhere?”

“Nope. I bought some manuals which I’ll read tonight. It’s all mathematics really when you think about it.”

“Sure sure, Spencer,” you grinned at him, shifting your coffee from one hand to another. “Well if you ever want a teacher, give me a shout.”

“You can play?” he looked surprised.

“I started taking lessons when I was five years old. To say I can play is an understatement. So drop round at the weekend if you like. I have an actual baby grand piano in my living room, it’s much move pleasant to play than a keyboard, not that there’s anything wrong with Yamaha’s.”

“I might just take you up on that.”

You said your goodbyes to him, not even thinking about the meeting again until three weeks later when you were sat at home one Saturday afternoon with your legs curled up underneath you and a book in your hands. You’d not mentioned your run in with Spencer in the coffee shop to anyone at work, never asked him how his self teaching was going on. You figured if he needed your help, he’d ask. But being the genius he was, he’d probably figured it all out himself.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

Sliding your bookmark into place you shuffled over to your front door. You weren’t expecting any company so you were suprised to see Spencer standing in your doorway, a look of frustration on his face.

“I need you help. I can’t do it…. Well, I know that in theory I can, and I’ve taught myself to read music and I know where all the keys are but it’s the timing. I can’t do it.”

“Hi Spencer. I’m very well thanks. Nah, you’re not at all intruding, come right on in.”

His eyes widened and he coughed sheepishly. “All of that too? Hi Y/N. Sorry to bother you……”

“It’s fine. Come in,” you led him through to the kitchen. “Drink?”

You reached for two mugs when you saw him nod, setting about making two coffees and handing one to him.

“So…. The great genius Spencer Reid has found something he can’t do?”

“There’s plenty of things I can’t actually do in practice. This just, well I wasn’t expecting not to be able to do it. I know what I’m doing but when I go to play, it sounds wrong, like my timing is off.”

“It probably is. Have you tried using a metronome?”

“Nope. I’ve never ever had problems with timing or anything before.”

“Well that’s probably where you’re going wrong then. Come on through.”

You took Spencer through to your large living room where your piano stood. It was your pride and joy and had been bought for you as a sweet sixteen birthday present by your grandparents who had always encouraged your playing.

“Wow,” Spencer was impressed. You sat on the bench in front of the instrument, patting the space beside you.

“Okay. I’ve never taught anyone to play before so I think even though you’ve read the manuals and stuff, it’s best if we start at the beginning and go back to basics.”

And so you did, spending the next few hours patiently going through the basics of piano playing with Reid and explaining the importance and helpfulness of a metronome, especially to someone who struggled to keep timing. Of course he spent the afternoon spouting off impressive facts about the instrument and it’s many many famous players, but you were the expert here. This was your forte and you let him know that. He was a quick learner once you’d taught him a few basic timing exercises an by the end of the afternoon you had him playing Heart and Soul with you, the first piano duet you ever leant, and he managed to keep in time.

“See you can do it.”

He beamed, pleased with your praise. “Thank you! I was just getting so frustrated. Although when you said we were going back to basics I figured you’d have me playing chopsticks or something.”

“I can teach you that. I actually found chopsticks harder when I was learning because it’s faster. But I can teach you that next week maybe?”

“Erm… Yeah. I think I’d like that,” he shifted in his seat, wanting to ask you a question. “Y/N. Can you play something for me? Properly.”

It had been ages since you’d played for someone other than yourself but you nodded, shooing him off the bench and centering yourself as he settled in the arm chair.

“Is there anything in particular you want to hear? I have a fair amount of sheet music but there’s only a few that I know off by heart.”

“Play something you know off by heart if you don’t mind. Maybe something that you love?”

“Okay….erm…. Okay.”

After a brief moment of silence you allowed your fingers to find the keys and slowly lost yourself in your Grandfather’s favourite piece, “Clair De Lune”. You’d played it to pass one of your grades and had remembered seeing him with tears in his eyes at your recital. The music was beautiful, breathtaking and it uncovered a thousand memories of long afternoons spent slaving over your old piano making sure you could play it exactly right. You’d played it so many times now that you could do it with your eyes closed, your fingers instinctively knowing what to do. When you came to the end you looked up from the ivory keys and glanced over at Reid who was sat with his mouth slightly agape and a look of admiration on his face.

“That was…. that was beautiful. You’re so talented, I can’t believe no one on the team knows about this.”

You shrugged,“It’s not as if playing the piano can help take unsubs down.”

“True. Will you… Will you play for me again sometime? I really enjoyed that, it was like you went off into a different place and became someone else entirely when you were playing. I’d really love to hear you play something else.”

You grinned widely, pleased that he had enjoyed it so much. “Of course I will. If you want to carry on learning, then I can play something after each lesson? Think of something you want to hear for next time and if I don’t know it, I’ll find the sheet music.”

“Okay. Thank you, Y/N.”

“You’re welcome,” you heard a low rumble coming from your stomach. “Seeing as you’re here and I always buy enough take out for two anyone, do you want to stay for dinner?”

“Erm…. Okay sure. My treat though seeing as I intruded on your afternoon.”

You didn’t argue with him, instead pulling some menu’s from the pile by your phone.

“I’m thinking… Chinese maybe? All the talk about chopsticks from early has made me fancy some.”

“We can order Chinese food but I can’t act use Chopsticks, ” Spencer told you.

“WHAT!? Another thing the genius can’t do? Well… We’re definitely ordering Chinese, with chopsticks. If I can teach you to play piano, I can teach you to use utensils.”