Sugar Hearts

“I’ll pick you up at seven, Spencer.” You heard Emily tell Spencer.

“I’ll pick you up at seven, Spencer,” you mimicked her in your head, narrowing your eyes at your colleagues and then immediately feeling bad.

It wasn’t that you didn’t like your team mates. Quite the opposite in fact for one of them. You had a ridiculously, stonking great crush on Dr Reid and had done for the six months you’d worked at the BAU. But you were fairly certain he and Emily had a ‘thing’. They hadn’t come out and openly admitted it to the rest of the team but you’d overheard them making plans together, and they often rode in together. The looks they gave each other when they thought no one was watching made you feel sick to your stomach.

It was stupid really. When you’d first started, you’d thought that maybe Spencer had liked you. He’d sometimes seem flustered around you and you’d been sure you’d seen him checking your legs out the first day you’d worn a skirt. He also went out of his way to be kind to you, bringing you back your favourite coffee from the coffee shop down the road whenever he went out on his lunch break.

But then him and Emily had started coming in to work together and you could just sense something between them. The little looks or soft touches, the way she always fixed his tie when it was crooked.

Ugh.

The team were making plans for this evening, a night out to let your hair down. Emily was leaving the office early for an appointment she had and you watched her hug Spencer goodbye before waving to the rest of you. You waved back, plastering a smile on your face.

Envy did not suit you, at all.

Two hours later and Spencer had just come back from his lunch break, taking it a lot later than normal. Passing your desk, he placed a takeout coffee cup down and gave you a sweet smile, shaking his hair back from his face. His gloriously messy hair.

What you wouldn’t give to run your fingers through those locks, or tug on them gently. You bet Emily got to do that all that time.

Reaching into his messenger bag he pulled out a paper box and opened it, reaching inside and taking out a pink cupcake, placing it next to the coffee. The cupcake had a small sugarpaste heart on it.

“I thought you could do with an afternoon pick me up. You’ve been quiet today, everything alright?”

Everything was fine….. Aside from you dying inside from unrequited love.

Alright, that was a little over dramatic but still.

“I’m fine. Should you really be giving that to me though?”

He looked confused, glancing at the cupcake and then back at you.

“I thought cupcakes were your favourite? Do you not want it…. I’ll erm…. I’ll take it away.”

You felt bad, he was just trying to be nice to you. You sighed and picked the cake up.

“They are my favourite. I’m sorry, thank you. I just don’t think your girlfriend would be too happy with you giving cake with love hearts on to someone else.”

You started to peel the wrapper, trying not to get icing on your hands.

“Girlfriend?”

Oh come on.

“Sorry, I mean Emily. I know you haven’t come out and told anyone else yet, but it’s obvious.”

“I’m sorry but what exactly is obvious?”

“That you and Prentiss are a couple.” You bit into the cake, licking the frosting off you lips.

“Me and….. Me and Emily?” He started to chuckle. “We’re not a couple, Y/N.”

You paused your chewing. They weren’t?

Swallowing quickly you clarified. “Wait…. You’re not?”

“Nope.”

“Well you probably should be, it’s obvious you two like each other. I don’t need to be a profiler to see that.”

You took another bite of the cake, savouring the taste of the frosting, cherry flavoured, your favourite.

“Y/N, me and Emily are just friends. Just really good friends. Nothing more.”

“So you don’t like her then?”

He shook his head, crouching to the floor beside you so that he was at eye level.

“Nope. I er… I do like someone though.”

He reached out and brushed the tip of your nose with his thumb, holding it up the show you the stray blob of frosting.

“You do?” your breathing hitched slightly. Could it be…. Nah… It couldn’t.

“Yes.” His tongue darted out and licked the frosting off his thumb.

“Who?” your voice was barely a whisper.

“I’d have thought it was obvious. Maybe trying to express my feelings through coffee and cake wasn’t as blatant as I had hoped.”

Yes, Yes, YES!

“Me? You like me?!”

He nodded slowly.

“Are you sure?” you squeaked out and he laughed.

“Very sure. Em’s been telling me to tell you outright for weeks. But I didn’t dare. She thinks you like me too, but I wasn’t sure. Is she… is she right?”

“Is the Pope Catholic?”

You grinned at each other, your heart doing little back flips inside your chest.

“I’ve been jealous of Emily this whole time for nothing then….. I’ve been shooting her daggers for no reason at all. I need to apologise to her.”

“You don’t, please don’t worry.”

“I’ll speak to her later. So erm…. If I like you and you like me, what are we going to do about it?” You were not taking any chances, now you had an admittance of feelings, you were running with this.

“Dinner and a movie tomorrow?”

“Sounds perfect!”

Yes!!!