Practice Makes Perfect

our boyfriend had been quiet all evening, which considering you hadn't seen him all week because he'd been out on a case, was strange.

Not wanting to push, you waited until bedtime. You'd discovered that Spencer was more likely to talk at bedtime. Something about the darkness seemed to make him open up. So you waited, eating the meal you cooked and watching a film, snuggling up against him on the couch until it was time for bed.

Changing into your pajamas, you crawled between the sheets, wrapping your arms around him when he climbed in next to you and lay his head on your chest.

"You okay?" You said softly to him, stroking his hair gently.

"Mmmm." Came his response.

"Spence, talk to me."

"I'm just.....The case we were on. There was this kid, Sammy. He was so smart and some intelligent, but he's autistic, so it's unlikely he'll ever be able to share that with the world."

"Okay.... " You waited, knowing there was more.

"It just makes me wonder. What it would have been like for me if I was worse."

"Spencer, you're not autistic though?"

He shifted on the bed, so he could look at you.

"Not diagnosed no. But I fit a wide range of traits on the spectrum, and it explains how my brain works so differently to others. And then it makes me think about my Mom. Her illness is hereditary. What is I develop it, or pass it onto our children?"

"Our children? Spencer, you think about having kids with me?" You were shocked and felt butterflies in your stomach.

He suddenly looked unsure of himself, his eyes flickering away momentarily.

"Erm.... Yes. I have.... I'm sorry, I know it's early in the relationship and, oh god, have I scared you off by mentioning kids? You've never even mentioned them to me but I've seen you with Jack and Henry and... and... "

"You haven't scared me off. I'm just surprised, but pleasantly so. I know we've only been together for ten months but I can honestly say that you are IT for me Spence. If I believed in soul mates, then I'd say that you are mine. And as for you possibly being on the autistics spectrum or developing schizophrenia, well we'd deal with that if that happens. Same goes for our children. I'm in this for the long haul, for as long as you'll have me. Nothing will change that. Okay?"

He still looked unsure so you cupped his chin in your hand, handing his face so that he couldn't look away.

"Okay. Whatever gets thrown at us, we'll deal with together."

"Okay... I love you, Y/N." He smiled sweetly at you and you grinned back.

"I love you too. Now... Whilst kids aren't on the cards yet, what do you say we get some practice of actually making them in?" You raised your eyebrows at him suggestively.

"Practice does make perfect."

"It does indeed."