Amplification Amplified

“Y/N, this is Aaron Hotchner. You need to make your way to the hospital right now. Spencer’s being admitted.”

A chill ran down your spine as you listened to the voicemail left by your boyfriend of seven months supervisor.

Hospital……?

Admitted……?

There had been no other details aside from the name of the hospital and the floor that he would be on. You grabbed your bag and keys, hopping into your car.

You hit the speakerphone option on your cell, calling your best friend Penelope Garcia. She worked with Spencer at the BAU Headquarters in Quantico. It was through her that you’d met ten months ago, although it had taken Spencer three months to garner enough courage to ask you out on a date.

She answered immediately her phone immediately, her voice shakey. “Y/N?”

“Penelope what the hell has happened!? Is he okay?” You were frantic with worry, desperate for information, yet still trying to keep enough focus on the roads needing to get your destination in a hurry.

“I…uh….I don’t know yet.” She sounded on the verge of tears herself.

“You don’t know or you can’t tell me.” You knew how their jobs worked, some things they were allowed to tell you, others they couldn’t.

“I genuinely don’t know. Derek’s with him now. He…uh…….” She wasn’t sure how she could tell you.

“Garcia, please!” You pleaded with your friend, the tears threatening to spill over.

Your heard her gulp on the other end of the phone. “He’s been infected with Anthrax.”

“Anthrax?” You knew very little about Anthrax aside from the fact that terrorists used it in attacks and that it killed people. Penelope had gone quiet.

“Pen….He’s alive isn’t he?” you asked in a small voice.

“They’re working on a cure for him now, but that last time Derek checked in, he was in a bad way. He, erm, recorded something for you.”

“What do you mean?” You were confused, you were approaching the hospital now seeing the signs for the parking lot.

“He left you a message. He did one for his Mom too, just in case.”

In case he didn’t make you thought. You pulled into the parking lot and halted to a stop.

“Play it Penelope,“ you begged, switching off the engine.

You heard her clicking some buttons and then a recording started. Spencer’s voice sounded hoarse.

“Y/N, this is Spencer. I just really wanted you to know that these last ten months have been the best part of my life so far. Knowing you has bought a happiness to my life that I didn’t know I was capable of feeling. I’m so grateful to Penelope for introducing us to one another, and so thankful that you agreed to give me a chance.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen to me now but I needed you to know that I….uh. I’ve fallen in love with you Y/N. If I get through this, then I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to make you happy.”

The recording ended as the dam holding back your tears broke. You could hear Penelope sniffing down the phone as well.

“He’s never told met that before. What if I don’t get the chance to tell him back?” You were sobbing openly now.

A figure appeared at your window then and pulled open your drivers side door. Derek Morgan. He’d obviously been on the lookout for you, waiting for you to arrive. You tearfully signed off from Garcia.

“He’s alive Y/N. He’s going to be okay.” Morgan took your arm, pulling you out of the car and escorting you into the hospital.

After what seemed like hours, the doctors finally declared that you could go and see him. Morgan went in first, to fill him in on the case and to then allow you more uninterrupted time with him.

When he came out, he smiled at you encouragingly. “Pretty boy’s asking for you.” He touched your shoulder lightly as you took a deep breath and entered the room.

Spencer looked so weak and pale in the hospital bed, various wires and tubes protruding from him. You shakily walked over to his bed, sitting down and drawing the chair close.

“I thought I’d lost you Spence.” Fresh tears began to fall as you took his hand, holding it to your lips.

His voice was low and coarse as he whispered, “I’m sorry” to you. You just wanted to hug him and never let him go.

Being mindful off the wires and the tubes, you crawled on to the hospital bed next to him, curling up against his side. You kissed his cheek softly.

“Penelope played your message to me.”

His eyes widened. “She did?” his voice still a whisper.

“Yeah…..It was beautiful, Spence. I’ve fallen in love with you too. You make me so incredibly happy.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

You lay your head on his shoulder lightly holding his hand and feeling very grateful for life at that moment.